on 1 June 2014
I initially bought this book to give me a good impression of what c# can do. The authors explanations in the book are clear and concise but i would not recommend this book.

I paid for the book so i expect the basics such as structs to be in the book, but they are not instead the authors have been quite lazy and direct you to the books website to learn about them. There are lots of occurrences where the authors direct you to the website to learn about things which they call bonus material but as this is a book on c# 5.0 they should be included in the book! Furthermore the book needs more examples.

I was also drawn in by the "7 books in 1" line on the cover, and while the authors do topics like SOA, wpf etc it is not in sufficient depth and yet again the examples are lacking. There is also no coverage of topics like linq, parallel programming, asynchronous programming etc.

Overall i feel the whole book is badly ordered and has been rushed into publication.

If you want a comprehensive debrief on C# i recommend c# 5.0 in a nutshell or pro c# and .net. Avoid like a plague!
12 people found this helpful
on 29 December 2015
I am a big fan of the 'Dummies' books. This tome has not aged well. I installed the version of Visual Studio that is used in the book, viz 2012, and there are many differences between what is described in the book and what one sees on screen. I am completely new to programming and the last thing I need is a book that is not accurate. I imagine most programming books would have this problem so I think I will have to wait until something like "Beginning C# 6.0 Programming with Visual Studio 2015" is available.

Though I did not think I would find it annoying to be referred to a web site for code and extras, I did and VERY much so. After this purchase, I will look VERY favourably on a book that has a CD for this purpose.
One person found this helpful
on 1 January 2014
Bought this having looked through several books in the same vein at my library. This is as clear as any and has the advantage that you can download Visual Studio Express (2012) from Microsoft for nothing and then follow it through the book. There's now a later version of Visual Studio Express (2013) and doubtless the book will reprint in the fullness of time.
on 6 March 2016
I found this book very difficult to read. It waffles around the subject matter. I spent a week with it before abandoning it for PRO c#
on 11 June 2016
Very completed book with all the necessary information to introduce you to C# programming.
on 28 February 2015
This book is brilliant and would recommend to anyone who is starting to learn this language!
on 6 January 2016
These dummies books are brilliant
on 18 April 2016
Excellent condition
on 13 March 2015
Great , useful book great for the basics
on 7 December 2015
Arrived quickly, has everything needed. Thank you!