on 14 December 2012
Sometimes these "Professional" titles go a little over my head, either I'm getting much better, or this was pitched a little lower down the tech scale. Don't get me wrong, this isn't beginner stuff, but doesn't overcomplicate the subject, and has some great real world scenarios such as XSS attacks to discuss etc

I like this series, and this book just made it better again, worth the wait (am in the UK and could only get on Kindle at the time of release)
on 2 January 2013
5 star book for MVC4 introduction with JS and jQuery elements (somehow deep security)
will be a little boring for professionals, so title a little bit confusing and that is why 4 stars are well done.

But I strongly recommend this book as MVC introduction.

Thank you.
on 12 April 2013
Not a great deal of detail here but a good broad sweep of information.I t gave me a start on this framework. Nothing you couldn't already get from the web but helpful in that it is all in one place and well structured.
on 9 July 2014
This book fails to be clear on whether code should be read as an example or added to your own demo application.

What makes it worse is a few chapters in the demo application seemingly changes completely with no instruction on how to make yours match, nor any other information on the reasoning behind the changes.

From a technical point of view though, this book appears to have plenty of information regarding the MVC framework.
on 18 January 2013
I loved this book very much. I am already developing a few months on MVC projects. And i knew I had to learn a lot.
This book is not always super deep dive, but it gives some great insights.
on 21 October 2013
I left asp.net at its 1.0 version and came back at MVC 4 and the jump is huge. I would recommend that you first read a few other introductory books before jumping into this one.
on 20 April 2013
This book has been written by some people you may have heard of if you're interested in this subject. This fact will be rammed down your throat on a regular basis as you read though. Indeed it's quite a few pages into the book before it stops telling you about themselves and actually gets on with the subject.

And then frankly for a "professional" book the content is very light and there is a distinct lack of detail. I read this after the Apress MVC book and frankly there is no comparison between the two. This one really doesn't offer anything in comparison.

Also considering how few pages there are, we still manage to have an entire chapter on Nuget (no doubt because one of the authors works on it) which really doesn't seem to be anything to do with the matter at hand. And the example about how they built the nuget web site is equally useless.

The only saving grace this has is the chapter on security. This is actually extremely good and essential reading. But it's hard to recommend a £20 book for one chapter. Very disappointing.
on 27 July 2013
Really good book. Goes into plenty of detail without getting too basic. The book has a good section on XSS and CSRF.
on 25 March 2015
Great book for people new to ASP.NET MVC. Reason for 4 instead of 5 star is because some parts of the book, eg membership section, introduce you to the topic, then refer you to the author's blog for further details. Why is that content not in the book?! Also doesn't go into detail on a lot of topics. However having said that, it's great for people new to the framework.
on 3 April 2013
I bought this as I have the MVC 3 edition which I thought one of the best technical books I've read.

This version I felt was superficial in places - it's treatment of Web API (one of the main reason I bought it) was very thin to the point of being essentially useless.