Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 February 2013
The book description state that it will "help the beginner and the more advanced digital compact camera users" to master underwater photography

In reality it is quite generic and with almost no clear explanation of how the basic photographic tools need to be adapted to the underwater photography

Whoever has even a limited knowledge of out-of-water photography will find the book uninformative and often even confusing in its attempt to over simplify

It is probably addressed to real beginners who no previous photographic experience even if I doubt a beginner will learn much reading this book
on 24 September 2012
This book has really helped me no end to improve my pictures, and it has helped me capture the sort of shots I was looking at in magazines. Whether you are into fish, macro, wrecks, night dives, or panoramic scenes, there is advice and help for all, so you can achieve those "special" pictures.... how to create black background, how to capture light etc

I personally find it hard to "take things in", and firstly I am a diver, not a photographer (even on land!!!), yet found the book very clear... showing comparative photos taken on different settings so I could compare and contrast outcome were invaluable. Maria's enthusiasm for her subject shines through, and encourages , I found it quite inspiring, especially as I have seen such a change in my own pictures now in a relatively short time. In the past I was only interested in taking "snaps" initially but got bored of that, when all my pictures were murky green, murky blue on holiday with no colour contrasts, and over exposures etc.

I bought the book as I was booking on one of maria's photography day courses and being a girly swat I wanted to try and get a bit of understanding before I went on the course. I keep this book with me in my camera crate, and it goes on holiday with me too! I might even get myself a kindle version to make it super convenient for travel!

Get the most out of your camera and buy this book.... you invest so much money in a camera , housing and strobe.....then don't make the most of it! Go on you know you want to!
on 24 September 2012
I have read a number of books on underwater photography and this is one of my favourites, without being too technical Maria gives step by step instructions on how obtain the best from your underwater camera whether it be a simple compact and housing or a more advanced set-up with strobe and attachment lenses. Thoughout the the book she demonstrates the difference between your camera settings both in clear instructions and also full glossy pictures so you can visually see the difference from the basic aperture priority settings to full manual. Each picture is also shown with full details such as the camera and attachments used as well as the settings used which should help when setting up your equipment. I have recommended this book to a number of friends using compact cameras, in fact its so good when I lost my first copy I bought another and always keep it with me on dives as a reference.
on 9 June 2016
I should really have researched the author before buying the book - if I had I would have seen that the author is not a well known photographer, and her photos are very amateurish. Rather look for a book by a photographer who takes really good work, then you can learn from a pro. There are several books available written by really good photographers.
on 16 October 2016
An excellent book to give you an introduction into underwater photography, I read this alongside taking photographs in the red Sea, as the week progressed and I had read more of the book, I could see a marked improvement in my photographs. Diving with two other drivers using full DSLR equipment I was able to get photographs very close to the quality of their cameras. The comments were that I was able to enjoy my diving and still bring back very good images, in fact having the compact camera meant I noticed more wildlife that would've been missed had I have been concentrating so hard on the perfect settings for technical photograph. My only advice would be to buy either a good photography light or a strobe as this is what really made an improvement to my photographs.

Ignore the snotty comments, from people who wanted advanced techniques or those that think the person has to be famous to be worth reading. It appears that photography does attract more than its fair share of cockwombles!
on 4 July 2013
Writer clearly has very high level of technical knowledge but translates this into very practical advice with real examples, so superb learning tool. Example, I have good understanding of realtionship between aperture and depth of field but that did not extend to how sensor size also affects this, that is neatly explained in the book why compact cameras have an advantage in some ways I think it was in Macro photography.

You really learn that underwater photography brings you several extra variables you don't haveon land. DO I want a black background, or a colourful one? How can I catch rays beaming through the water?

Obviously don't buy for original Kindle reader it is useless in Black and White!
on 21 June 2015
What a fantastic book! I usually use a dslr on land so am not used to compact cameras on land or under the sea. Maria's book is concise and clear and has many fantastic photos to illustrate different techniques and points which she raises. I bought this book and red it by the pool between diving in the Red Sea and it helped me no end. It is written in a friendly and down-to-earth manner which I really appreciated. Buy it even if you have a dslr
review image
on 21 August 2013
A really nice sized book filled with great advice and all the basic information that you are sometimes too scared to ask on forums. Explained compact settings well, I now understand the relationship of filters and flash and the tips on using white balance. I keep dropping back into it for reference and I recommend this to beginners like me or enthusiastic amateurs starting to build a system.
on 6 March 2013
Great to have a book dedicated to compact camera users for underwater images.
I found the step by step approach, the description of how the images were taken and
what I need to do to take better images, very informative.
Well worth the money, if you are interested in taking better "snaps"
on 4 February 2014
Really good book i learned at lot from it other books only touch on compacts this does as it says on the tin very clear and precise to all with compacts and would love to learn how to use it underwater buy it.