on 18 March 2017
This is the only "for Dummies" book I've ever been disappointed in. There is virtually no explanation of the clue types (although apparently the other "for Dummies" book on cryptic crosswords does include this) and the puzzles are not particularly well-crafted. There are far too many anagrams in the so-called easy-peasy crosswords. The clues are inelegant and not particularly accurate and if you want to use it to practise for cryptics in UK broadsheet papers (particularly the Times) then don't bother with this. I would recommend instead "How to Crack Cryptic Crosswords" by Tim Moorey which is specifically based on the Times crossword and is very well-written with lots of explanations/breakdowns of the different clue types and includes various practice exercises: individual clues, crosswords and an analysis of the solving process. Wish I hadn't wasted my money on this.
on 1 February 2013
This book is not really a how to do cryptic crosswords. At its heart it is simply a book of 56 crosswords grouped into 3 levels of difficulty. It has a few tips of the very basic kind like, "don,t attempt to do the clues in order" and "check out the word count", which are not really helpful and it briefly lists the different types of clues you may encounter but does not give any examples to illustrate this. The book does have some merit as a source of practice material, which is why I give it 2 stars. For people wanting to progress with cryptic crosswords there are much better books already published out there and some good websites. Note try to get a book aimed at English crosswords, as this one and some others have an American slant.
Andrew
Doncaster
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2014
I'm now on the hardest crossword puzzles in the book. I've found that my ability to solve cryptic crosswords has increased through a process of doing them intensely. The puzzles get increasingly harder, for example anagram clues start to feature less and less as one proceeds through the book. I found that as I worked through the book the penny started to drop when I came up against very cryptic clues. From my experience if you work at the puzzles intensely you'll improve. One final note to readers; the puzzles all have a variety of clues. There aren't any puzzles which are entirely comprised of anagram clues for example.
on 29 January 2013
My only complaint with this collection of crosswords grouped into three levels is a lack of explanation of the clues. As a companion to the "Solving Cryptic Crosswords for Dummies" I thought this would have explanations for the clues, otherwise I could have bought any collection of crosswords. The three graded levels is though a sort of training process. Not what I thought I was buying.
on 16 June 2015
One of the best books on cryptic crosswords I have found. It is well written as a gental introduction to each clue type with practice crosswords for each type.
on 2 October 2015
Really good book. Bought alongside "solving cryptic crosswords for dummies". Nice and easy to read and simple explanations page by page.
on 9 September 2013
I love Cryptic Crosswords For Dummies, I find it very helpful and would recomend this book to all having trouble with Cryptic Crosswords.
on 6 May 2015
Just what I wanted. I am just getting into the cryptic crossword, so very apt.
on 4 February 2016
I already have this edition and am looking for the next one!
on 23 March 2015