Customer reviews

The Unofficial Guide Walt Disney World 2013 (Unofficial Guides)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2012
This is THE book on Walt Disney World. If you're thinking of having a holiday there in the next 12 to 18 months, I want the most for your time and your money, this is an essential book for you.

For me, the best thing about this book are the Touring Plans, a step-by-step guide on how to efficiently see everything the Park with minimal wait. The book's authors claim that this can save you four hours waiting in line a day, and after using them, I have no doubt about it. The least liked Touring Plan, for the Studios, has now been totally rewritten with less backtracing. Of course, everything else about Walt Disney World is also in here, from reviews of all restaurants and attractions to how long you should expect to take to get to each Park from your resort.

The style of the book is serious when necessary, but usually a lighter tone makes reading it enjoyable. Each year around 100 pages are updated in line with changes at WDW. New inclusions in this 2013 edition include: updates on FASTPASS Plus and the mobile app "Lines"; reviews to the new "Art of Animation" resort and 20 off-site resorts, together with substantial changes to the Downtown Disney hotels; how to get cheap(er) hotel rooms; New Fantasyland and Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom; where to get last minute Dining Reservations (ADRs). Updates to this book can be found on the TouringPlans website, and more helpful planning advice can be heard on the WDW Today podcast. Basically, for the price it is, a must buy.
on 6 January 2013
I like this book, very good but I just prefer the Brits guide by Simon Veness, also check out the superb usatips4brits website, quite brief but a great start when you're looking into an Orlando trip, and it's free!

This book is a great read having said that, good detail and some useful tips, I just personally prefer the style of the afore mentioned over Bob's view, probably just the fact hat I prefer a Brits perspective though.

Get it, but also check out the others!
on 16 November 2012
Previous editions of this book have been excellent and so I decided to invest in the kindle edition, to save carrying around a weighty book. Sadly, the tables comparing restaurants, hotels, etc. are virtually unreadable and the maps and touring plans are close to useless. I think they kept the original colours of the printed book,so the contrast is poor on the kindle. It may be heavy, but my advice is to go with the good old fashioned paper version, which you can at least read! it is such a shame, as this is the perfect book to have on your kindle to take anywhere, but no effort at all has gone in to it's production. come on Amazon, you can do better than this!
on 7 September 2013
I bought this before we went to Disney World, studied it, made spreadsheets, plans, timetables, all sorts. My girlfriend refused to follow them as she said I was very sad. She is correct, I am. BUT I managed to convince her to follow my plans for day 1. What entailed was a two week holiday in which we had to queue no longer than 20 minutes, we saved money, dined in only the finest of restaurants and had the best views of the parades. Absolutely fantastic book. I actually left my copy in the hotel room for the next guests to enjoy. If I ever return to Disney, I will certainly buy the newest version again. Fascinating reading and well worth the money.
on 23 June 2013
We last went to Disney in 2001 and I had previously used the Unofficial Guide, but now needed an updated version. This book probably gives too much detail, but it is invaluable, especially with regard to the reviews on hotels, restaurants and the tour plans.
on 1 December 2012
This book provides an great amount of detail to help plan a trip to Disney. I didn't need some sections on staying on site, and there's info on how to get to Orlando from within the States which isn't relevant for the UK reader. But otherwise the book is full of information on the parks, the rides, and how to plan your days.
on 17 February 2013
I buy the new edition of this "unofficial guide" every year and it never fails to disappoint! Whether you are looking for a wonderful guide for a trip or if you just adore Disney and want to keep up to date the the parks, this book will not cease to amaze you!
on 2 October 2013
I bought the unofficial guide Beyond Disney for a trip to Orlando last year and found it to be completely invaluable. Everything worked better when using their plans and suggestions. We are back to Orlando to visit Disney next year and I have bought this book to help plan. I did buy the kindle version as well but find it easier to make notes and highlight in a real book. It is a fantastic resource and I can not think of anything that is not covered by the team. Do beware that it is the size of a brick though - I transferred my main notes onto record cards last year and then just took the cards relevant to the park we were visiting that day out with me. (I am aware that I am sounding like a bit of a holiday control freak!)
If you only buy one guide book for disney make it this one.
on 29 June 2013
Having been to Florida numerous times, I still prefer this guide to any others. We only go once every two or three years, so I only buy it for that particular year. It goes without saying that much of the information is bound to be the same as previous editions, but there are always updates and new features, which makes it a worthwhile buy. For the first time visitor, this book is a must have. It is slightly on the heavy side, but it should really be used in advance, to plan your visit, and not left until you get to the parks. The key word for a Florida holiday involving any of the theme parks is PREPARATION! This will give you all the advice you need for both Walt Disney World and Universal, and loads of other useful advice. Well worth the money.Enjoy!
on 24 December 2012
This is not an easy read, with over 800 pages, but it is worth taking the time, as there is so much great information & tips. I have learnt so much & am now looking forward to my trip with confidence.