on 27 December 2012
I really like the way this book is written, it's not too jargon heavy like other books. The way the information is presented and explained means that it's easily retained and makes for a nice easy read. Within the first chapter I learnt about social monitoring tools that I didn't know about. I especially like the action items at the end of each chapter. I would definitely recommend this book and shall be looking for more books from this author in the future.
on 1 June 2012
I am always sceptical about buying books from "experts" they can be badly pitched, i.e. dumbed down / overly concentrated in an area which I don't care about, this isn't an SEO book for example (like some are), it talks about SEO a lot and despite working in SEO for years I have learnt from it, the same can be said about SM, it basically gets you thinking about it all in the right way which is more important - I have already suggested to half a dozen people they need to read it, typically people who are familiar with the fields mentioned in the title... the only problem I have is that I have lost it somewhere, maybe on a train or a bus ...

Would I recommend it? Yes, I am hoping he writes a follow up as I think there is room for a book 2 ... going deeper still.
on 3 October 2013
The key to understanding this book is the subtitle. The author draws together the three core strands of modern digital marketing - content marketing, SEO and social media - to show how they can be integrated to provide an overall strategy for your business. Essentially it helps you think (very) clearly about the underlying commercial issues and what's best for your organisation. On several occasions I offered a silent "three cheers" for the author's ability to cut through the hype and jargon that often surround these subjects. In particular, content marketing has become a fashionable bandwagon and this book offers a welcome dose of common sense.

Beyond "strategy", the book does then point you in all sorts of useful practical directions but it most definitely isn't a detailed "how to" manual. In fact it's a relatively brief book - 230 pages - which I found all to the good. Over the years I've read stacks of books on digital marketing and this is one of the best. Focused, clear thinking and commercial.
on 25 September 2013
I bought this book after being an avid fan of the blog...and was disappointed. It is written in a "dense" way that makes it hard to read and jumps from topic to topic, crammed with tips but going round in circles. I lot of repetition throughout the book as well.
I think is would be best used to dip in and out of specific topics, but I gave up on reading the whole thing halfway through.
I feel bad giving this review because the guy is a genius and writes awesome blogs and articles etc. Unfortunately, the book did not work for me
on 17 December 2012
As someone who has been working with websites since the mid-1990s, I felt comfortable with traditional forms of SEO such as article writing and general link building, but realized that my knowledge of digital marketing and using social networking to build and promote a brand was very limited. This is a great book for anyone who wants to get to grips with the steps to take in order to take advantage of current SEO techniques. The book is so packed with information that it merits being read more than once as there is a lot of help and advice to absorb.
on 28 August 2012
I've read a lot of books about various aspects of digital marketing, and while I take lessons from every one, it's hard to deny that there's a huge variety in quality.

Lee Odden's book 'Optimize' is just about as perfect a digital marketing book as you can find. It's more or less a manual of how to build a successful online brand.

Digital marketing has been in a continuous state of change since the dawn of the internet, and marketers have had to adapt their tactics all the time. On many levels 'Optimize' transcends that, and focuses on what it takes to build a lasting online brand that engages with its target audience in ways that will endure for years to come.

If you're a SEO, Social Media marketer, digital marketing generalist, or even a copywriter, this book is a must-read.
on 17 April 2013
I bought this as an audiobook to listen to on my phones. It's spoken by a phoney sounding presenter and goes over a lot of the same ground repeatedly in a fashion that is completely unmemorable. Get yourself a short 100 page SEO top tips book on Kindle instead (or google it) and save your cash. Unfortunately this book is not going to fire up your enthusiasm.
on 31 August 2016