on 22 October 2013
I have downloaded a few of the book about Game of Thrones. One of the first I read was "Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords". This is a truly excellent compilation from many writers, all of whom seem to know about their subject and offer new insights. My one criticism is that this excellent start may have set the bar a little high, there are several other similar books that do a pretty good job of at the very least entertaining the reader, but none quite as good (in my opinion) as this one.

I read this book some time ago and must admit to being too lazy to write a positive review. I was motivated to write now because while writing a very critical review of another book of this genre (a truly awful example) I noticed that one of the other reviewers said "I bought this entirely on a whim and I wish I had taken a little more time to research my choice"; if you are researching your choice this is the one to go for.
on 8 July 2013
I will read this book again, that is certain. This book makes one THINK, it makes one QUESTION. Not only the morality and social standards of Westeros, but the same of our own standards, in the so-called real World.
Questions like; how must a Prince rule most effectively, but also morally? Why are magic (or the belief in such), important in any World? What is Destiny? Do we have a free will, and what does that mean when we also have religion? All the answers are out there - or inside ourselves. But riddles have always fascinated us. So it is with "A Song of Ice and Fire".
on 28 June 2013
It does contain quite a few spoilers but it does warn the reader about these in the introduction and points out the sections to avoid if necessary. It's a good enough general introduction to philosophy for the Game of Thrones fan.
on 23 March 2013
I got this book on a whim, given I am a huge Game of Thrones fan but have very little knowledge of philosophy.
It was well worth the price, taking philosophers like Machiavelli, Hobbes and Aristotle and explaining their work using a Game of Thrones as an analogy, making it accessible to everyone.
Well written, insightful and engaging, I recommend this book highly.
on 13 January 2014
Game of Thrones (the novel) throws up philosophical questions in virtually every chapter. This book explores a few of those questions and is great fun to read if you are a fan.
on 8 March 2016
If you liked ASoIaF and are into philosophy, this is a great book. Probably on the difficult/boring side to read if you don't know anything about philosophy and different schools of thought.
on 10 October 2015
Clever book which appeals to me. Pop culture and philosophy. If you want to delve deeper into characters decision making or motivations, this is a great little addition to the series.
on 12 March 2015
This is a great book to delve further into the depth of the world of the great 7 kingdoms
on 25 October 2014
some good topics, good gift for a GOT fan