on 3 April 2013
It's tough to find books about branding that aren't either (a) self-help manuals which over-state the obvious and are therefore useless if you know almost anything at all about marketing, or (b) which take the case-study approach - often involving huge, existing brands like Coca-Cola or IBM and scenarios you may never face.

This book, however, is sharp, bang up to date (4th edn) and ideal for anyone involved in building and articulating brands. Don't be put off by 'designing' in the title: it's ideal for copywriters (like me) and planners, for example, and as a resource or even a refresher for experienced branding professionals.

Beautifully presented, a delight to read, 300+ fascinating pages... it definitely doesn't have an academic feel, but it does takes you through processes and metrics, rather than woolly suggestions, and there's a huge amount to get your teeth into. It's the first book I've encountered which looks at brand-building as a process and a science, as something which can be followed, and it provides the tools to help you do it. If I wasn't afraid of appearing to gush, I'd say I'd stumbled on trade secrets I should be paying a fortune for under the label 'consultancy'.

Definitely recommended - although, unlike all the other books I wasted my money on, this one won't be a quick scan-read!
on 24 May 2013
This is, by some distance, the best book I have purchased that looks at how to design/build a brand.

I've bought quite a number of books on this topic and they all suffer from either being (a) incredibly academic (and, therefore, dull to read), (b) full of waffle and jargon, or (c) the author has a completely over-inflated opinion about him/herself and their book is largely condescending. The worst books combine all three aspects - feel free to peruse my other reviews on Amazon.

Where Designing Brand Identity stands out is that it is easy to read and follow - beginners to this topic will find it just as easy to follow as experienced practitioners. It's written in a very engaging way and is literally a step-by-step guide on designing and developing your brand. I would also say don't be out off by the 'Designing' part of the title - this book is not just for those setting out to design a new brand. Experienced brand professionals will also find a wealth of information in here, either as refresher material, or (because the book is completely up to date) for information on developing your brand in 2013 onwards - including across websites, mobile and tablet platforms.

The book is split into three parts. The first presents the fundamental concepts of branding, covering the basics from what is a brand and brand identity, to brand ideals, brand elements and brand dynamics.

The second part covers the process(es) involved in designing a brand - with a big slant on processes, it covers research, audits, competitive analysis, strategy, design, touchpoints and managing assets.

The final part of the book covers a number of case studies - from brands of all sizes - and reinforces the best practices that were covered earlier in the book.

At 300+ pages, this isn't a small book by any stretch of the imagination, however, it's easy to read and follow and you can dip in and out of it depending on where you are in your brand journey. I'd highly recommend this to anyone working in communications and marketing too - you'll learn a lot more about how a brand is developed, and that knowledge will make your campaigns all the more powerful.
on 29 March 2014
When I was ordering this book, I was thinking of a book which is practical, like how to establish a brand and how to do it right, what to avoid when creating brand, in a few words, I was looking for some professional help and advices. What I get is a colorfull book with a lot of famous peoples' sentences, with a lot of definitions what is what, and with a lot of famous brands icons and stories, but it's helps only ...globally:) to have a vision of what brand is and how very difficult it is to make it known (if you didn't know this already). In other words, it is academic book for young people which don't want to have their own company and brand but more are thinking of making carreer in marketing department or advertising agency. I like more realistic, more pracitcal books. Not like DIY :)) but still, more about our reality.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 January 2014
This isn't a bad book as far as reference books go but as a designer looking for a good read that would take you from a branding novice to a branding guru (granted for any book that might be asking a little much) then this book falls short of the mark.

As a reference book this has everything you need in order to create some strong branding. It has some well detailed points, a nice process to follow and some great examples of people who have done it before. It is best used however, in conjunction with your own work and constantly looking back to it as you move forward with your project.

If you are looking for something you can read and learn from so that you get a better all round education about branding and can do this without having to refer to the book then this book doesn't quite do what you might want. Whilst it will certainly give you the information you need if you were a robot reading the book or have an eidetic memory, it is not formatted in such a way that you can read through it from beginning to end and absorb the information as a learning experience.

Overall though it isn't a bad book. I don't disagree with any part of it and it will come in helpful (maybe) one day when I might be creating a brand from scratch. Who knows?

To be honest I can't recommend buying this book as most of the information you can find in this book is freely available from a great deal of blogs online. However, I can recommend checking a copy out of you library (if your library actually has one), if you ever find yourself in a position to be working on branding and need a good reference book.
on 8 February 2016
Well-written book about graphic design. Consists of three major chapters, the basic knowledge, process and examples. Incredibly useful book that is easy to find right information in. Absolutely worth the money.
on 31 January 2013
Bought this as I am readdressing my own corporate identity and this book really help me remember all the things I had learnt at uni and promptly forgot.
Great book, great for ideas too :0)
on 4 September 2015
Unfortunately, this book wasn't what I expected - like another reviewer mentioned, I thought it would be more practical, whereas I felt it talked about a lot of theory but didn't really apply it in a way that I found useful. The tone of the book wasn't very appealing to me and it was difficult for me to maintain interest - it felt very much like it was full of a lot of corporate/management speak, whereas I've read other books on the subject that present the information in a more dynamic and interesting manner. It felt like some concepts were explained using more words than is necessary and/or repeated, when perhaps fewer words and more in depth examples/illustrations would have worked better.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2014
As a designer I love to find new books that back up the messages I give to clients. In a digital age they often take for granted the value of brand for their business. This book showcases so many forumulas and examples of why investing in your brand and why going through the research before you begin to design is so important. Tonnes of quotes from industry leaders and experts and it's not too wordy with short paragraphs with each example. One of the best design books I have bought for my company in a while.
on 4 November 2014
The depth of coverage in this book seemed a bit much at first but once i approached it as a reference manual then it began to make sense and become more useful. It's also beautifully put together
on 22 July 2014
excellent book for someone intrested in branding. it is really easy to understand and make sense of - some of it is common sense, other bits you have never thought of. Only half way through but am very pleased so far.