Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2011
This book is well laid out and attractive in presentation. It is easy to dip into it to find out answers on a "need to know" basis. The handiest way is to look at the index at the back of it. It has solved nearly all of my issues with the Iphone. Not all of the icons on the iphone e.g. the sms/texting icon is covered specifically in the book. I was looking for "sent messages (sms)" when I realised that the iphone deals in "conversations" and there is no "sent message" folder as such. A handy book to have as you learn the powerful magic of the Iphone 4.
on 3 November 2012
The technical content of of this book is set at just about the right level for me and it covered all the queries that Apple's own user manual was unhelpful in solving. So I appreciated the inclusion of an index (Apple, take note) and I particularly liked the helpful numbered lists of instructions in bold print that appear under the subject headings, setting out clearly and unambiguously the steps to follow in order to implement settings changes.

On the negative side, the blue-bar backgrounds behind the chapter and sidebar headings are a minor irritation because they mimic the Windows blue progress bar (which uses a shiny white-ish stripe along an edge of the blue strip to achieve an attractive 3D thermometer effect). Unfortunately the first line of text(which is in a white font) is nearly lost against this pale background and is often much harder to make out than the rest of the text.

A more serious problem is the book's over-tight binding, which refuses to let it remain open on the desk and it often, annoyingly, snapped shut whilst I was typing and lost the page. True, you can wedge a pencil or something similar into the spine to prop the page open but you then encounter another problem with the binding - namely, that the very narrow margins around the text cause the end of each line on the left-hand page and the start of the lines on the right-hand page to curl away into the spine, making it hard to read - especially if there's also a pencil in the way.
on 6 September 2013
I delayed purchasing a replacement for my then simple mobile, until I was satisfied that a product was available which suited my present personal needs. I decided that the iPhone 4S was just such a device, particularly as I was of the opinion that this model was at an appropriate level of development to meet my personal requirements. Furthermore, I also took into account the fact that I intend to purchase an iPad, as it is quite clear that paper versions of technical and other journals are for example, being discontinued and tranferred to e-versions, so as to enable them to be read on an iPad. In addition the availability and convenience of iCloud to "link up" my lap top, iPhone and iPad, was another factor which I took into account.

Having purchased my iPhone, I searched for a suitable instruction manual and found the publication "iPhone 4S". Notwithstanding the fact that I have found the iPhone 4S to be a relatively straight forward system, Paul McFedries instruction manual has proved to be an extremely helpful and vital source of detailed operating information.

I am now about to purchase an iPad to complete my systems.
on 5 March 2011
Absolutly BRILL - cost outlay is a bit over the top but when you get it you will wonder how you got on without it - or at least one inferior to it.
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2012
I am new to the iPhone phenomenon and decided that the 4S was sufficient horse power for me to get going. I did download some guides that re on the phone itself. But I do like to have "something in my hands" when trying to "how to" something.
When you look at the amazon site you are spoilt for choice. So after reading other peoples' review of the "Portable Genius" I went for it.
It is very well laid out and takes you through all of the regular icons that appear on your screen -especially the "Settings" one for me as to set things up. Also how to use the camera with reasonable proficiency and how to remove Apps etc when you don't really need them anymore. As the book says you tend to go App mad when you first get the phone and then decide which ones you really need and weed out the rest.
The book is great for dipping into for those "how can I" type questions
It is written in a deceptively simple style (great!), but covers all the areas so far that I had come up against that needed some guidance.
Great layout, good colour (my first requirement) and good value. I used it on my Scotland holiday to learn more before I went out for the evening meal -yes, sad but true. So would I recommend it? Yes I would
on 28 November 2013
my last phone was an android phone so i decided to take a bite of the apple unfortunately i was in over my head. But not now this book is great from simple things to complicated this book is great. I am 61years old and found the apple system a nightmare but now i feel that I am getting the very best out of my iphone
on 25 May 2013
I bought an iPhone 4S and thought that I might be missing something due to the initial perception of complexity regarding the operation and set-up f the phone, so I ordered this book.

By the time the book arrived, I'd realised that I wasn't missing anything, which is probably a testament to the team who designed the IOS 6 interface and its inherent intuitiveness. These books also don't really tell the user how to do anything you can't get from the user instructions included with the 'phone, so regardless of the fact that they're well written and well presented, tell me something I don't already know!
on 13 August 2012
The book arrived very quickly after order placed. This instruction manual was just what I needed, firstly to get started on the maze of things the iphone 4s can do, and to ensure that I got the most out of the iphones areas / functions that I did want to use. Is written in a very easy style that enables one to follow all the various steps needed without having to refer to a techy manual. It has the occasional American slant but nothing that prevents you following through simple and well explained instructions. Would happily recommend this book to anyone obtaining there first Apple iphone.
on 11 January 2012
Got this as a gift, said it's well worth the cash as you don't get a manual with the iphone4. Very helpful!
on 16 May 2013
Bit disappointed in book as I thought that it would be like a comprehensive manual, but being a novice to smartphones it assumes that you already have knowledge of them which I haven't. I found that it is probably good if you are already used to having a smartphone but if you are new to them it lacks a lot of the basic information.