on 10 May 2013
I am a catholic who regularly goes to church. So at church we hear the readings and gospel but I was interested to find out more about the background and what as Catholics that we're supposed to believe that don't come up in a Mass. I'm currently only 18% into the book but so far it has been interesting;. Facts such as the difference between disciples and apostles, how the 4 gospels are written differently and why and the topics such as purgatory, the angels etc. I found to be very interesting. I still have 82% of the book to go and so no doubt many more interesting facts that I'll learn that are helping me better understand the background of the faith and really sparking my interest to learn more.

My only criticism that initially frustrated me was the regularity of the book saying 'see more in chapter this or that etc.' making you feel the need to flick back and forth etc. But I'm used to this now and I don't flick to relevant sections. I'll just wait until I get there. There is no need for flicking, the book flows fine read straight through but I suppose the mention of further detail in the chapters enables you to go on focus on specific areas if you wished.
on 6 May 2013
Brilliant book. Straightforward explanation of complex exciting theology. Well laid out with easy to access information. I've given at least 8 copies away to friends and enquirers so far.
on 11 August 2012
I am a lapsed Roman Catholic, living in the UK. I bought this book a long time ago hoping to reacquaint myself with my faith. I have only just started reading it and already within the first chapter noticed small things that were different to the way I was taught. I soon realised that this book is written by Americans. While there may not be too many differences in Catholocism between the US and UK, nonetheless I am disappointed that it was not written specifically for the UK market. Had I not had it so long I would have returned it.
"Catholicism For Dummies" is a comprehensive explanation of Catholic doctrine, practice and traditions in language easily understandable by the general public. The topics are covered in sufficient depth to be thorough without becoming boring. It is divided into five parts and twenty-two chapters covering t what it means to be Catholic, what Catholics believe, how we pray, how we live and concludes with lists of famous Catholics, Catholic places and saints along with a brief history of the Church.

Fathers Trigilio and Brighenti have provided the reader with a work that is more easily read than the Catechism of the Catholic Church while providing an effective introduction to and explanation of the Church. Whether you are merely curious about Catholicism or a practicing Catholic who wants to deepen his understanding and improve his ability to explain the faith to other, "Catholicism For Dummies" is a great resource.
on 11 February 2013
Great reference book if you're Catholic and bringing up your kids in the faith. Times are just getting harder. I don't know why I didn't already know everything in this book after being a Catholic for nearly 4 decades. It's already proved it's worth and I've only read 4 chapters so far. Worth every penny.
on 13 July 2013
Rating is based on "browsing" as the book was bought to give to someone who was a "lapsed Catholic". I may even buy another copy for myself because I found it interesting, informative and funny; but my local library has a copy - so maybe I won't. I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the subject. (I still might buy a copy for myself).
on 16 November 2012
Bought this to understand more about the Catholic faith. As with all 'dummy' books it gives you all the relevant information in easy to understand text. It is certainly helpful for me and helps with children's homework too! I would definitely recommend.
on 28 December 2011
An excellent book written in detail, yet in simple terms. Goes into all aspects of the faith. Particularly good for those wishing to convert or just to expand their own knowledge. John W.
on 15 March 2014
I bought this book when I was reverting back to Catholicism in early 2013. After so many years of semi-agnosticism, reading this book was the first step I took toward refreshing my knowledge on the Faith. Rather than picking up the Catechism straight on, I suggest that people start by skimming through this book in order to form a basic idea of Catholicism, its history, its canon law, and its doctrine. Once you have understood the foundations of the Faith presented in this book you can then fearlessly read the Catechism, which essentally expands on the issues outlined in this part of the 'Dummies' series.
on 26 March 2013
This is a very informative book which goes through everything from Mass to Catholic teaching. A very good, easy to understand book which I would highly recommend.