The issue with a book such as this is that the software packages to which it relates are occasionally updated and new features are added and methods changed. Were this otherwise true, there would be no need for the two-year cycle of new releases of books for Photoshop and for many other popular software products. When an update is released, and there has been one major update only very recently, the relevant portion of the book loses some of its relevance.

As one who has used most of Nik's products at some time or another, and they all perform their jobs quite well and provide tools otherwise missing from Photoshop or make that task simpler, it will soon become obvious to a new user that most of them share a similar approach and interface. Once you have a familiarity with its products, there is little need to explain them ad infinitum whenever the topic of discussion is changed - once will suffice. The company provide fairly extensive User Guides for each of its products which are downloadable should the printed version be lost from the boxed versions (unless you purchase via download or if they have since ceased to provide them). These guides often extend to 50 or more pages and cover the use of that plug-in, its various controls and options.

There is very little more in this book beyond that information available from within the various guides. Were you to download them and sum the various page lengths, you will arrive at a number not dramatically dissimilar to those of this book. There may be some additional data within, but it is limited and not that easy to locate or identify.

For those for whom downloading a few PDF files is too complex, are who do not have the skills to locate them, then this book will provide a valuable function. Otherwise, I am less sure.
on 30 March 2012
I have to say I am disappointed with this book. First off, I think the NIk Software is excellent and I use it most of the time .. I also have OnOne Software but since they changed the formatting I prefer to use NIK most times. I expected a lot more from this book particularly when it comes to explaining the use of the dialogue boxes for each of the Softwares .. I was particularly interested in the Define and Sharpening Software but I think the book falls flat in these 2 Chapters. For instance some of the sample pictures for Noise are unreadable .. Picture 5-2 for example which purports to show Noise, just in my view is very poor .. also the Dialogue Boxes should have been "brightened" up a lot .. It is very very difficult to read the text on these Boxes. On the plus side the technical information on Noise and Sharpening is very good .. but this is not the reason why I bought the book.
on 3 April 2012
I ordered the book because I love Nik's photo tools, especially Silver Efex Pro 2.
The book deals with all of their products, chapter by chapter explaining how to adjust and correct an image for that specific software product (like viveza or silver efex pro). At the end of the book, they explain how to correct and adjust an image using several product in the same flow (first do that with this software, then do that with the other software, and so on) and this for several types of pictures like portraits or landscapes.
This book is a bit the missing manual that you don't get when you buy the software.
It will be useful but I had hoped for more tips & tricks.
on 3 May 2012
Very basic explanation of the separate softwares. I do not need to have 5 time the u point technology explained in all the chapters. Probably written in maximum 1 day , read in 30 minutes and thrown in the garbage bin.
on 10 March 2013
While the Nik software website offers bags of advice, this great book lets you see the connections between the various software packages. A great reference addition to this great software package so get the digital download as its even better value.
on 18 March 2014
This book is for anyone using Nik software. It takes you through each of the individual parts explaining in straightforward terms with copious use of examples. I would recommend this book (and Nik software) to any photographer who wants to output professional results.
on 13 December 2012
I purchased this book particularly for the section on Silver Efex Pro2. To my surprise it covers all Nik products.
Very good quality and would recommend to anyone looking to enter fine art.
on 19 December 2012
If you use amok software, this book will greatly add to the use you get out of it. I bought it on a maybe useful basis, but found that I learned a lot about the software I had been using for a long time. I wish I had bought it earlier.
on 23 February 2015
Very satisfied with purchase.
Item received in good time, well packed & in good order.
on 19 March 2015