Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 7 December 2012
My son aged 10 has written a couple of small scratch games on the Pi so I bought him (and the rest of the family) the Python Basics book to get him started with formal programming.

The good points: It is very well constructed, both physically and content. I just handed him the book, he read the first bits then we did 'Hello World!' together and he then took off himself. One or two minor niggles:
1. No explaination of modulus. I got him to work out what it meant by trying different numbers till he could spot what was going on.
2. With the default IDLE on the Pi, the division is context sensitive. If you do 111/4 (as suggested), you get an integer answer, not a floating point.

Otherwise it looks really well put together. We haven't got as far as the event driven graphics programming (quite a jump for a novice which may be a bit too much), but we'll see how it goes. So far it is definitely the sort of book I would recommend getting from a library, as once you have gone through it you will be able to move on to a more advanced text. For primary schools and first years in secondary it should be a good 'self learn' text.

The physical construction of a spiral binding means it lays flat on the desk - good thinking. Might be nice for future editions to have more space to put notes in.
This is a primary programming book written for youngsters: I am over 60 and looking to learn a simple programming language having toyed, since the early 80's with DOS, Visual Basic and, for the briefest while with Java and remembering little or nothing. However, this book, part of a series, is progressive, comprehensible and comprehensive: Python is fairly easy to understand and the terms of reference are explained well in the text of this book. I am making progress and enjoying my excursion into programming, picking it up slowly and becoming capable of working out the problems and tests at this level, at least. Kids, I am sure, will pick this up and fly with it, but anyone, including people like me, will gain a lot from working through the series and using what they learn. I run a training organisation and can see how useful it might be to be able to write some simple programmes that will aid or support various areas of training that we do. Anyway, a well written and easy to understand book: recommended.
on 10 December 2012
Just what I needed to get back into programming after a long layoff, it gave me the confidence to gert started again and within days I built on the basics and had a neat application up and running.
A superb intro to programming for children, get them this book and a Raspberry Pi and they will be happy for hours if not a lifetime!
on 29 March 2013
A very nice little book to help youngsters get up and running with Python and coding.
It is focused around the Raspberry Pi, but contains instructions to set Python up on Windows and Mac too.
on 11 March 2013
So, other than some basic, a little Fourth and a minute quantity of machine code back in the 80s, I don't know anything about programming.
My son (12) and I are going through this together and it's great.
The ideas and concepts are well explained; the styling is 'cool' enough for him; there's just enough help on the accompanying website for when we get stuck (don't go there too early or it spoils the fun).
Get it!
Can't wait for the next one...
on 11 January 2016
I wasn't very impressed with this book, especially when it is supposedly aimed at children. Much of the time it seems to leave you to fathom out what is being done for yourself and tragically doesn't always explain WHY lines of code are being added which is surely an important point in any tutorial. I expected a step-by-step guide through the basics of coding which would have been accessible to my 9 year old - this is not it and he got bored with the book in no time.
I replaced this book with Computer Coding For Kids by Carol Vorderman which is far more accomplished at introducing children to the art of coding - and that book covers both Scratch and Python. My son loves Vorderman's book and has already demonstrated that he has acquired quite a bit of knowledge from it.
on 28 April 2013
The great thing about this book is that it's written and produced with a clear and effective understanding of how to engage students. It develops ideas in a clear and logical way, whilst at the same time presenting material in a style that is non-threatening. It doesn't assume that the reader is a geek and therefore moves the topic into mainstream provision - exactly what the current challenge is.
on 18 May 2013
I love this book. It explains everything simple and gives you the ability to quickly start writing your own programs. I have tried many python books but this is my favorite. Can't wait to read numbers 2 & 3. Perfect for all, including beginners.
on 11 July 2013
Got this for my 10yr old who wanted to start computer programming. Within minutes she was up and running writing her own little programs but also learning about how and why the programs work. Recommended!
on 2 May 2016
As a twenty-something who was taught a small amount of HTML at school and has seen how useful coding can be, I decided to learn a programming language. For the life of me I cannot remember how I ended up choosing Python but I bought this book because I wanted something very basic and inexpensive. It is full colour and the content is amazing. It is step by step but not too basic. If you want an age range then I would say 12+. I got through the 'Hello World' section quite quickly but then I found the activities and concepts gradually more challenging, but not annoyingly difficult - a type of I-love-learning challenging. Lots of 'games' to program that result in the most composed of adults grin with excitement. Absolutely love it and I bought level 2 and level 3. The downloads that you get access to with it are very useful. I just found some code flashcards on the site that will be very useful.