HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 October 2017
I have always loved this tale of doomed love, there is just something so haunting and tragic about it that will make even a grown man cry. As with many of Shakespeare's works this is not an original idea but is based on an Italian ballad, but whereas that ballad has been forgotten what Shakespeare did with it will be with us forever. I could spend a few paragraphs giving a brief synopsis of this play, but what would be the point? People who have never read it or seen any performance of it know the basic storyline.

This story appeals to people from all walks of life with its tale of forbidden love between two teens. Juliet obviously lusts after Romeo in no way that a teen fiction love story these days does. That in our modern world the two obviously consummate their love adds a certain frisson as strictly speaking Juliet is under age, but that thankfully hasn't sent the censor to start editing it.

Really delving into what love and subsequently lust means this play should be a standard on the curriculum and could be used as a starting point for sex education. Shakespeare really showed here what being in love feels like as no one has ever done before or since and he speaks to our psyche and our emotions that make this drama so memorable. Really this is a must read.
on 5 March 2017
These are great books, I like teaching with these as they have clear script, pertinent translations and interesting activities. As far as i can tell these newer, larger editions follow the same page numbers as the original, older editions (in case you're thinking of supplementing your class supplies!)
You also have some detailed notes and comments at the back of these books, exploring social and historical context, theme and character etc.
on 16 April 2017
Bought to teach the new GCSE AQA Literature. Was a play I was familiar with, but didn't know in enough detail, so returned to the format familiar from my own GCSE days.

As with all Oxford Shakespeare's, the notes are comprehensive and easy to follow, and the supporting material helpful. I wouldn't want to use this as the entire basis for teaching or for revision, but it's a solid starting point.

It lacks some of the bells and whistles that more modern publishers use, so a little dry for student to use directly at this point, particularly those who have been weaned on CGP guides!
on 26 June 2016
Good, i used this for my gcse unit on r+j as I am an A*-B student, I would reccomend this to any higher ability students. The only down side is that there is not an actual copy of the play and then notes on the page next to it as I expected, so I would recommend buying a cheap copy of the play with this.
on 17 February 2018
Just what I wanted and needed.We are rehearsing this play for our open air theatre performance in Walthamstow at the end of June 2018.The book was ordered as "used"but just has some notes made in pencil by the previous owner.It is fine for my needs and was delivered promptly.Can not say much more about the purchase at the moment.I do not know the play but will be getting to know and understand the play as our rehearsals progress.I can happily give another review at a later date if requested.
on 18 May 2015
I am studying this play for A2 English Literature and definitely reccomend this Oxford School Shakespeare edition. This is because of the fact that the text is clearly set out, and it also includes modern English references and annotations at the side to help with understanding. (This is very convenient) Furthermore, there are also some small diagrams and full page photographs of the play in action which I find quite beneficial in expressing the mood and tone of the play. Although it is a slightly more expensive edition than others such as the Wordsworth Classics, it is a very well presented edition with good space for annotations, and I am thoroughly happy that I chose to purchase this one.
on 5 April 2018
My poor review is not for the story or words of Shakespeare, but this edition. I purchased it as I thought the page layout would leave enough room for making extensive notes around each scene, which is true, however, the stage directions are in the wrong place!

For example - Act 1, Scene 1 - "SAMPSON. (aside to GREGORY). Is the law of our side if I say “ay”?" - in this edition it does not say (aside to GREGORY) - which is vital!

Even worse - Act 1, Scene 5 - the 14 line Sonnet uttered between Romeo and Juliet from lines "If I profane with my unworthiest hand... to Then move not while my prayer's effect I take" - should have the stage direction (They kiss) at the end. HOWEVER, in this version, the stage direction comes after the next line, "Thus from my lips, by thine my sin is purg'd" - which (1) changes the whole meaning of that last line and (2) makes the whole speech between them not a sonnet, but 15 lines.

I know this is incredibly pedantic, but as an English teacher trying to teach the play all stage directions must be in the correct place in a printed version, or it really does change and confuse the meaning.
If you are buying the play to study for your GCSE or A Level or Degree, don't choose this version as the meaning will not be correct for every line.
on 21 July 2017
Complete waste of money and in fact the description is completely misleading. Just a cheap print of the text of the play with a few pages about Shakespeare at the beginning - you would get more information on wikipedia. I understood this to be an annotated version of the play i.e. commentary on the text. It has none of that. The print is not spaced so text identifying character is not differentiated. Do not buy this product.
Julius Caesar (Annotated)
on 3 November 2014
Hamlet is one of the plays which has led some scholars to assert that the Renaissance is the moment when a move towards a modern sense of the self occurs. Hamlet's concern with his 'conscience', the glimpses we get of his subjectivity and interiority support this view but it's interesting that so much of the play is also concerned with acting: whether Hamlet's feigned madness, or the play which externalises Claudius' guilt.

This edition offers detailed readings, glosses and a textual introduction to help students navigate through both the play and some of the scholarship which surrounds it. Hamlet is a play which exists in different textual forms in the quartos and the First Folio, and it's helpful to have a detailed discussion of these variations accompanying the play-text itself. A very good study edition for students and general readers.
on 5 February 2018
This review is for Julius Caesar as there seems to be reviews for some other graphic novels of William Shakespeare's works.

The story of Julius Caesar is well told here. Starting in 44BC and condensing the time of Caesar returning to Rome and his assassination, and culminating in the 2nd battle of Philippi with the defeat of the Republicans at the hands of the Triumvirs.

The illustrations are great and the story flows well. However the characters seem to have been drawn from various sources including Julius Caesar (1953) and HBO/BBC Rome TV series, so you get Cassius looking like a young Sir John Geilgud, Mark Antony looking similar to Marlon Brando in some frames, then changing to James Purefoy. Julius himself also changes from Louis Calhern to a generic Caesar. But other than being mildly jarring this does little to harm the overall enjoyment.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse