on 28 October 2013
This book is a little gem and worth every penny. I think Dan & Julia have done a great job in explaining much of the mathematics you will need in any introductory level astronomy class. Anyone doing GCSE astronomy here in England would be well advised to buy a copy, there are many examples and also a web site with much more, including video sections with helpful hints and examples. Work through the sections and your maths will improve and therefore, so will your understanding of astronomy. Steve Durr.
on 6 August 2015
The book presents the most important astronomical observation methods and basic equation connected to them. This is done in a well thought and comprehensive way. The mathematics of the book is simple (no derivation nor integration), which is on the other hand the purpose of the book, but may dissappoint some readers wanting to see somewhat deeper. The book includes anyhow many excercises providing a good and concrete wiev - despite simple mathematics - to astronomical procedures and magnitudes.
on 29 May 2017
I looked at this a few months ago and then didn't buy for some reason. With just over a week to go to an Open University End of Module exam, I buy it and now regret not getting this earlier. The first chapter alone was worth the cost as I now understand why ratios are used so much and how to manipulate them as well as using units and getting them correct first time. The book also has a great online facility with all the examples and questions in the book fully work out as well as great video tutorials. It doesn't go into all aspects of astronomy of course, but what it does cover is very well explained... Oh, how I wish I had got this months ago!!!!
on 5 June 2017
My grand-daughter's interest. I have a first in mathematics, but she understands more than I do.
on 18 April 2017
very well written. good book.
on 31 August 2013
Superb overview of the basic algebra, trig, geometry and arithmetic required to acquire a deeper, non-trivial understanding of astronomy/astrophysics short of extensive use of calculus and other more advanced mathematics.
Tomos
on 10 August 2015
This is a superb book which contains clear, straightforward details of the mathematics associated with astronomy. The first chapter explains in plain language a number of fundamental methods and techniques which are used in the following chapters about the mathematics associated with topics such as gravity, light, stars and black holes. The book is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in astronomy.
on 20 March 2014
I read this recently as a primer to a series of books on radio astronomy. I was delighted with the book. The selection and presentation of the material is first rate. I have begun ordering more books by these authors on the basis of this one alone.
on 9 November 2014
A well presented and written book that conveys a complex subject in an easy and understandable manner. I managed to get through it cover to cover in a day with all the worked examples and succinct narratives on the concepts. I'm going through it again to further reinforce my understanding and work through the exercises. If one is interested in the astronomy and cosmology and want to understand the maths behind the ideas and concepts this is a highly recommended book. My only slight negative comment is the need for more worked examples per topics before embarking on the exercises at the end of each chapter. Also a summary of the formulas and their variations at the end of each chapter would be very useful. I would throughly recommend the book.
on 30 December 2013
I was using the book as guidance for a course i was putting together. I was disappointed that some of the questions, like the mass of Jupiter one was actually incorrectly reported in the answers. I should have reviewed it but that said, for the money, you expect that to have already been done.