Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 June 2010
This book is akin to J.C Beckett's classic text 'The Making of Modern Ireland, 1603-1923' (1966). Witty assessments of leading politicians make for an entertaining read and Bartlett's judgements will be cited for many years.
on 10 August 2015
Short, snappy and to the point, but still brimming with detail, this is an excellent introduction to Irish history for students or the general reader. Bartlett's is offer plenty of the facts and few opinions, largely allowing the reader to draw their own conclusions. F
on 19 December 2010
An excellent book - can be read as a reference as well as conntinuous account of the subject. Not too academic.
on 18 September 2010
A good general history of Ireland lucidly written with a number of photographs. I would recommend.
on 12 January 2014
From the very first sentence "May I begin in the year 431 a.d.?" I was hooked....
I know quite a lot of Irish history and have always found it particularly tedious. An American friend asked me to recommend a book on Irish history and I picked this; naturally I had to read it first and found it most entertaining and illuminating.
Highly recommended.
on 4 December 2013
Although this book is a reference book it explains the history of Ireland in an interesting and beguiling manner. It is easy to follow and I found I couldn't put it down. Superb read.
on 9 December 2013
This is a tremendous one-volume history of Ireland, from St Patrick through to the present day. It serves as a great introduction to Irish history and should whet the appetite for further reading. Professor Bartlett is scrupulously fair and well-balanced. He writes with an easy style and with frequent flashes of humour. Highly recommended.
on 13 May 2016
ooops sorry,been away. Very Very pleased with my book and yes it arrived quite quickly. I love all the history on Ireland even one's showing the industry,holiday places "but" mostly and would like to get my hands on one on how Ireland evolved from the beginning. As you see love Ireland mind I do have many Irish relatives who live in Kerry,Cork and Dublin. Sorry getting carried away with my life"but" as you can see I loved the book thank you. 104margaret
on 28 August 2013
This book is huge!! It arrived in good time and well packed, however, it is more of a study book I feel than a quick read. I will persevere as the Author has a refreshing style but it could take some time to finish.
on 4 September 2014
Very interesting and well written book.