on 17 May 2015
I buy one of these every few years for my work. I am a travel agent and it helps me to plan routes. Sometimes it is necessary to split routes especially across borders so I need the paper book for that. I don't use it for timetables as these are more reliable online but times, journey durations, frequencies and routes don't change that much so I only replace these every few years and mainly for the route maps
on 23 September 2014
Yes, absolutely a must have if planning to travel by rail in Europe.
Quicker easier than browsing online search engines.
Fairly good world section too, but I would like to see better coverage in that department.
But since they defied to combine the world with Europe I see some compromises have to be made.
I would still buy the world one though... particularly if I am going to to regions where online rescues are scarce or inaccessible for non-native speakers.
on 10 September 2014
This was in the traditional European Rail TT format but, while probably NOT the fault of the editors, I found the use in Spain and in France far too problematic. Firstly, it seems RENFE altered its TT's on 6th. June and these alterations SHOULD have been incorporated in this edition - but were NOT. As a result I had an unnecessary 3 hour wait at Irun and then had to check every new city visited to make sure I could adhere to my original intentions. This was, of course, aggravated by the new line of Adif in moving the railway stations from where they were to new locations sometimes well away from the city centre (eg Burgos). In France, the issued TT for the Aquitaine area was as printed, but the TT being operated on "my day" was very different and I missed my connexion to Zaragossa as a result, losing my booking and my payment. Finally, I found FEVE was not too accurate about its arrival times on the longer distance trains and, having failed a connexion in Santander by 15 minutes, I had to opt for a bus. Much of this was NOT the fault of the TT editors but some was and I was left with a good deal of frustrated annoyance.
on 2 August 2014
This timetable is essential for planning European train travel. Far better than having to use online timetables because with a printed timetable like this you can you can flick through and see what services are available on the routes as some lines only get a few trains a day and you can plan journeys far better by being able to see all the services in print . The maps are good too. Hope the new editors are able to keep this going for many years.Exc
on 25 November 2014
I realise this version is the phoenix rtising from the ashes of the earlier guide, that folded...but I didn't find it as user friendly as its predecessor. With any luck, it will get back to where it was as it is republished.
on 21 October 2014
Rail travellers in Europe and further afield owe the new publishers of what used to be the Cook's European Timetable as many stars as possible. Without it planning surface travel would be well nigh impossible. Thanks guys. I do hope you get the support you deserve. Travelling through Europe? Buy this wonderful publication!
on 8 September 2014
I thought tha it would be more substantial, paper quality and thickness. It seemed to be an exact copy of the old Cook's timetable and I was looking for innovation. I assume that railway buffs like to stick to what they know.
on 27 July 2014
Have been buying this timetable for over 45 years and its just as good with the "NEW TEAM" who are mostly the old team now in charge.
on 29 July 2014
An invaluable guide. I was delighted when this timetable made a reappearance. I would feel lost without it, and it will be accompanying on my rail journey round Germany next month.
on 19 July 2014
Excellent publication which was most useful when planning a recent visit to France and Italy. The content closely mirrors that of former Thomas Cook timetables.