on 11 April 2017
These books are brilliant , the story grabs you and won't let go . It's not a simple. Case of good vs evil, like life it's not as simple as that . I can't wait to read the next one so it's downloading as I write... ok it's done on to the next .
on 22 October 2013
Loved this book, even more than the first. The writer is obviously inspired by the works of Steven Erikson (who writes around a complex magic system where magic users gain the powers from houses/holds), however whilst Erikson's work can be difficult to follow this is a nice and easy read. Definitely will be keeping an eye out for the concluding part to the trilogy and hope more will follow for works in this interesting world.
on 26 September 2013
The characters in this book save it. It is a strong world and the magic works. It is a little like a computer game but I am sure that is what the author had in mind. The series is progressing well although I knew what was going to happen well before the end. But Fantasy is confined by rules.

What really makes the book readable is the authors excellent characters. They are all slightly damaged but utterly believable. You don't get pure hearts or simple blood thirsty fools here. They are all unique and, quite frankly, some of the best written and rounded characters I have come across in any literature.

It is these characters I am returning for and not the rather standard series of challenge and reward magics which gets a bit repetitive and we have to spend a lot of time learning the rules which change as a result of the Valinhall incarnation. Still a good romp.
on 24 September 2013
An enjoyable second sortie into this interesting world. Have romped through the tale at alarming rate, much like Simon...

Waiting with bated (Nye) breath for the concluding volume...
on 21 September 2013
Another excellent read from an author who has captured the imagination with a wonderful new magic and great new characters. A brilliant second book, looking forward to the next one
on 18 September 2013
I enjoyed the 2 book I have read good story line love the character would have like 2 have all three books would have been far better than wait for how long for book 3 ?
on 10 December 2013
Like Will Wright's previous novel, this one started off at a fast lick, and I could not put it down, but as I got further through it, the story got more and more confused in my mind, and after many attempts to finish it, I have not as yet managed to get past chapter 14. So its not really fair to make major comments. The description of the people and the world that they inhabit reveals a fantastic imagination, but the plot seems a little too complex to follow. Its probably me. May change the rating when I have finished it
on 2 February 2014
This is as good as book one (and that means it is good). I got slightly confused by why one of the factions wanted to save human sacrifices being made by means of unleashing the "incarnations" which would then destroy the world, but that may have been me reading too fast and missing an explanation. Don't let that put you off though, as this author has a crackling imagination, and the whole world he has conjured is very enjoyable indeed. I can't wait till book 3 is available!
on 1 February 2014
I love this trilogy and can't wait for the final book. I enjoy reading about the different territories and all the twists and turns involving the main characters, you never quite sure who is on each side and it never does seem a clearcut team A are good, and team B bad, giving the story a more realistic feel.
Keep the stories coming Will Wight and I will keep reading them!
on 21 November 2013
I wasn't overly impressed by the first book so I didn't have high expectations but I was pleasantly surprised. In almost all aspects its superior to the earlier book and I only had a few grumbles about the boring leveling up powers aspect and some poor dialogue.

Anyway its a good book and I definitely look forward to the next in the trilogy.