Customer reviews

Not Fade Away
Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2017
Good Biography proof reading must have been poor numerous mistakes.
on 31 May 2014
I bought this book because I am a Stones fan and in particular, Brian Jones. Knowing a fair amount about his life, I knew there would be a lot of sadness, but I was staggered by how much pain Dawn went through. She had a very strict Catholic upbringing and when she fell pregnant with Brian's child, her parents were no support and sent her away for the pregnancy to a home for unmarried mothers to give birth on her own. Reading how they took her 6 week old baby away from her broke my heart. Brian of course left her to fend for herself. The Stones management handled the dirty work that Brian had coursed. I had to keep reminding myself that Brian was only 22, but that doesn't excuse him at all. There was more heartache for Dawn when she married, but life improved and the story continues to the day Dawn met her son again. This book is also great, as it gives such an insight to England in the 60s. With the Mods and Rockers and the fashion. I loved it. I cried a little I admit. All these experiences must have made Dawn a strong lady
on 9 May 2014
Since reading this wonderful book a few days ago I have had to take time to think it all through. It brought back such memories for me, both good & bad and it involved many tears. Dawn Young & I grew up in England in the 50's & 60's so her background was similar in many ways to my own. Even occurring events in our lives were similar. It was uncanny, though we have never met. She had a difficult life but despite all that she had to go through, she has chosen not only to open her life, but also her heart, to us all, as readers and has come out a shining star.
The 60's was a great period of time for many of us, but it also holds a lot of sadness for many. Being pregnant during that time, having her baby boy taken away from her, tragically losing her little girl, finally finding her lost son, but not entirely with the relationship for which she had hoped, this story brings the reality of that time to our attention.
I highly recommend this to any "Stones" fan, young or old.
on 18 August 2014
This is the true story of a young, impressionable girl of the swinging sixties who had both the fortune and the misfortune to meet Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. For a short but wonderful period she was showered with his love and attention, but just as quickly, abandoned to her fate on becoming pregnant with his fifth child. What follows is a shocking account of the harsh and draconian ways in which young, unmarried mothers were treated during that era.
Dawn tells her story with painful honesty and poignant simplicity. She refused to be a victim of her circumstances, rising above the hurt which she endured at having her son callously torn from her loving arms and showing herself to be a survivor when faced with tragedy a second time on the death of her daughter.
This is an inspirational story of courage and forgiveness and a must read for any Stones fan.
on 22 June 2014
When I heard about this book, I immediately purchased it through amazon, it is amazing, it brought back memories of my teenage years, and renewed my interest in Brian Jones. After reading many negative articles, years ago I felt a bit dissolusioned and I used to half heartedly read them and dismiss them, in my head. Reading Dawns book has renewed my interest and I have put him back in my life where he belongs, a hero of my past. God bless Brian he was so very talented and well done Dawn an excellent book.
on 20 May 2014
Dawns own story of her life in the 60`s is so like the lifes of many other young ladies and may I say young men who happened to fall foul of society. Good for you Dawn written as should be with no holds barred, well worth a read.
on 5 April 2016
Great book, It's a roller coaster of emotions! I found myself thrilled for her, then sad for her, then crying with her, and crying some more.
Dawn Young's true story takes us through her good times, bad times and horribly depressing time in forced confinement!!

First, hanging out with Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones and falling in love with him as a young impressionable girl, but he was a rat, unknown to her having already fathered 4 other children, leaving her pregnant and basically deserting her never to see her again, that would be torture to anyone, no matter who the father was!

As the cruel times (even though they were the 'swinging 60s) didn't look kindly on unmarried pregnant girls, neither did her horribly cold-hearted Catholic mother who had no patience or sympathy for her daughter's predicament, Dawn had to pay the consequence of 'getting into trouble' and was sent to an unwed mothers home, to be hidden away as to not embarrass the family, and forced to give away her 5 week old baby and brainwashed into thinking she would forget all about him and carry on with her life as though it never happened!! (5 weeks is an awful long time, the bonding would have been concrete by then!)

To rub salt in the wound, the cold Rolling Stones management thought that 'paying her off' would end any possibility of the dirty secret ever getting out, that they were protecting the band and Brian Jones from looking bad is an understatement. Brian did not own up to his responsibilities or attempt to support Dawn in any way during this traumatic time, he just left her to deal with it on her own, although sometime later tried to see her and the baby, even though he was chased away by her brother and his friends as the baby had not come back with her from the 'HOME'. Dawn never got over the loss of her baby boy, who never was to know his father nor did she ever get to have any closure with Jones, she never stopped hoping one day she would be reunited with her son, which they did many years later.

The story continues as Dawn got married shortly after, had more children and life carried on, she endured more tragedies and losses but got through each new crisis and heartache with courage and dignity. Her long lost son then appears after searching many years for her, it is bittersweet, but you need to read the book to find out what else happens.
She wrote the book to bring to light the horrible way the adoption agencies forced young girls to give up their children without any other options.
Highly recommended, you just feel for Dawn when the chips are down and want to be there emotionally for her when nobody else but her lovely Aunt Eva was.
on 8 July 2014
Great book if you want to know more about Dawn, Brain Jones or life in the Britain during the 1960s. Very well written with moments that tug at the heartstrings. Brilliant read.
on 10 January 2014
A well written and interesting account of Dawn's life. Interesting to any Rolling Stones fan as Dawn tells the story of being a fan right from the beginning, meeting the band and having a love affair with founder Brian Jones. Having already fathered four children Brian leaves Dawn shortly after she discovers she's pregnant by him. Under pressure from her family as well as Rolling Stones management Dawn is forced to give her son up for adoption and get on with her life. Dawn marries and goes on to have a family but can never forget the child she had to give up.

We get to follow Dawn through her childhood, realitionship with Brian and through her marriage. She lets us share in her joys and deepest sorrows while she recalls her life in great detail. It is almost like being there. For anyone who was around at the time it will be a trip down memory lane and for those who weren't it will be a way to visit the most interesting era there ever was in music.
on 22 June 2014
I enjoyed this book a lot.Dawn does not over dramatize her relationship with Brian Jones.it's a very truthful,sweet and at times very sad.Her life has had many ups downs.I would definitely recommend this book.Good to read more favourable things about Brian Jones.I wish Dawn and her family best wishes and happiness