Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 October 2013
This is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time! If you want a book which will make you laugh, read this!

Warning: This book is not to be taken seriously, hence this is a Pride and Prejudice farce, not a variation.

To start off, Mr Darcy on laudanum is the funniest thing: his treatment of Mr Collins and also Lady Catherine de Bourgh who turns up is wonderful.
You know in situations with Mr Collins and Lady Catherine there are times when you know exactly what characters are thinking but they just can't say it, however much you want them to? Well, Darcy on laudanum does say the things he is thinking! (As well as sings a rather interesting song for the ladies of Longbourn...)

It was extremely clever with conversations we know from the original slotted in here and there, often spoken by different people to different people and about a different subject!

Mr Darcy is so wonderful in this version. He is the knight in shinning armour (even though he did fall off his horse) and eventually, one by one, he makes all the Bennet ladies fall under his spell. Seeing Mr Darcy's relationships with all the different members of the household change was really interesting - Mr Bennet in particular - it was a great way for Lizzy and the reader to be shown Darcy's true character, through his actions towards others.

Ok so I would have liked more time between Darcy and Lizzy, but that isn't really the focus of this story as it is through his actions with the rest of her household that Lizzy too falls under his spell (but there are some sweet moments (and funny moments!) between them.)

The relationships between the Bennet sisters themselves and how they change through the story was also nice to see. I really enjoyed the further exploration of the characters of Mary, Kitty and Lydia, Mary and Kitty in particular who are very untouched in the original.

The ending few chapters were a lot of fun! They show what happens to all the characters in the future (which I always like to read about) - a few characters from her other novels make some very interesting appearances! I particularly liked Col. Fitzwilliam's and Charlotte Lucas' fate! (But I won't give it away!)

As humour is the main objective of this Pride and Prejudice farce, a final epilogue with Mr Wickham and Mr Collins really finishes the book with a bang - it was brilliantly funny!

This is a wonderfully clever, witty and laugh-out-loud book! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh - I was laughing from start to finish!
on 23 February 2015
This is an entertaining retelling of the Pride and Prejudice plot. The main characters end up married to each other, though under different circumstances than in the original. Other characters experience different fates, though.....I don't want to give too much away, but although it appears that Wickham and Mr. Collins get their comeuppance (Lydia and Charlotte Lucas are rescued from them), the epilogue suggests a possible future career for them. The novel also introduces characters from Austen's other novels.
on 24 June 2013
I bought this book having continually read P&P variations and sequels non-stop for a few months. My husband wants me to broaden my horizons and stop reading 'dodge', but I love this kind of book! I bought this book in particular because it's by a male author; "I bet they're all written by women too?". Well, apparently not.

I enjoyed the story, it is a good interpretation and easy to read. My issues with it are that Lizzy isn't true to the usual character, she's a bit miss-ish for my taste. Darcy is excellent, and I really like Mr Bennet too. The tone is humorous and light and I like the style throughout. I did wonder, with it being a male author, whether the usual rules of a happy ending would apply (I realise how unfair that statement is, but I did think that). Do not fear, all comes good in the end!
on 28 December 2014
A really enjoyable book. I like his style of writing and , unlike some variations, looks as if the proof readers and editor did their job properly. I was amused that some of the scenes hark to the best of the farces. The epilogue was a little treat. I can thoroughly recommend Mr Caldwell.
on 6 June 2013
Darcy has an accident and falls off his horse on his way to dinner at Longbourn, and is confined to bed at Longbourn. This book tells the story of how his behaviour changes from rude and arrogant to polite and sociable.
on 24 April 2013
This author is a genius and this book is a sheer delight from start to finish.

I was crushed when the end of the tale crept up on me, I simply didn't want to stop being engaged with his characters.

This novel was a brilliantly conceived and executed tour de force.
on 24 September 2013
This book is really good and I have read it several times and it is really funny as well I would recommend it to anyone in fact I have to a friend
on 1 May 2013
This was a easy read which was very entertaining as it reflected parts from the original Jane Austin novel Pride and Prejudice. However I did enjoy it and will be recommending it to my friends.
on 21 November 2013
Did laugh in a positive way.
Cant imagine the HELL mr Dracy with through staying in that house & mrs Bennett.
An enjoyable book.You see dracy changing his opinion.
on 8 September 2014