Customer reviews

on 11 May 2014
Im an IT trainer, I bought 3 books on C++ to help my son and this was by far the best structured for a learner.
I myself learned c 30 years ago and this book goes through all the common featurrs of the languages developing into objects in a concise fluid and readable manner, it also covered templates, File IO, formatted IO and command line arguments which had been absent in the other books.
on 23 May 2013
For a novice like me who was more used to Fortran programming in the 1970s, the book is set out in a clear and concise manner and by downloading the software from the website, one can go through the exercises at one's own pace.
on 24 October 2013
Clear and concise, good balance between formal and informal tone. Perfect for a beginner with good coverage for a more advanced programmer.
on 12 June 2014
This book's okay, but the author doesn't explain (in my opinion), at times, exactly how to do certain things. He seems to assume that the reader will be able to figure things out themselves. I was totally stuck on the variables section because I didn't feel as if there was enough clear instructions on what to do. I've now turned to something else and I'm breezing along.
on 28 February 2014
The only thing that disappointed me, even slightly, with this book, was that it is a little short - but it offers fantastic explanation.

Pointers, is a very complicated mechanic in the language, which I had previously misunderstood. This book explained it impeccably though, and offered several uses for them compared to other built in functions. Although this book isn't that lengthy, its content is fabulous, and if you are a beginner - whether you have some previous experience with programming or not - it will definitely be helpful.

There is also a companion website as it were, which explains more concepts in similar detail.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to any beginner. I have read almost all other popular books, and I find this offers the best explanations. (C++ Primer and other books offer syntax and reference, but not detailed explanations).
on 7 October 2013
I'm new to programming and this book was perfect very helpful instructions and good practise problems to solve at the end of each chapter. This will keep me busy for a long time.
on 21 June 2015
This book needs to be updated to reflect the changes made in the C++11 standard. The book was reissued in 2013. In 2012 and 2013 the following books which all cover the C++11 Standard were published : C++ Standard Library by Josuttis; C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup; C++ Primer by Lippman et al. Do not buy until it has been updated.
on 26 April 2014
I recently started coding using C/C++ and more often than not found myself on Alex's Website, so I decided to slash out and buy the book as a extra reading material. If you have visited the site and found it helpful you will love the book as it is more of the same; excellent explanations and code examples to help get you started on the path to being a C/C++ programmer.
on 31 December 2014
Have been struggling with C++ as a concept , Its a good book for beginners , I don't know how good it would be at advanced levels but as a starter, its allot better than many books . Honestly Its well worth the money to a beginner struggling with the concepts and logic
on 6 September 2013
This is a great book to use as a reference guide and reading book if you are new to C++. I started C++ a few days ago, with no knowledge of programming at all and I have learnt so much from this book just within a few days.