Customer reviews

on 29 March 2013
I was delighted to receive this book as a gift. It is totally different to anything else I have seen in this paleo / gluten-free space. Although not paleo, I am gluten-free in a non-gluten-free family and I know how tough it can be sometimes to stay on track or to balance everyone's needs.

Alison writes in a very easy-to-digest way, with lots of practical tips based on the very real experience of family eating. This isn't a recipe book and it isn't a scientific tome about why paleo is good for us. It's a guide to staying on track, overcoming barriers and getting back into it when we fall off the rails (family holidays anyone!?).

I loved her style of writing and since I have the paperback, I loved the space to write my own notes at the end of the chapters.

A very easy read - highly practical and highly recommend you buy it to complement other books on healthy eating and recipe plans. Thank you Alison!
on 1 April 2013
I first came across the paleo diet when a friend of mine lost close to 60lb. I love to learn and having heard about her wonderful results, the pull to find out more was too much! I understood the why behind paleo but never got stuck into how to make it a part of my day to day life (largely because I am secretly addicted to bread and the thought of giving it up would terrify me!) I gave it up as another great idea that works for lots of other people but not for me.

I was given this book as a gift and it has been a total game changer for me. I've only just finished reading it so I've not implemented it all yet but with Alison's practical ideas and encouragement I can see that I will be putting much of this into practice. That's a first for me!

Even better, this book is jammed full of advice and implementation tips that can be used in other areas of diet, not just specifically paleo. Common sense. Encouragement. And actually getting stuff done. You can't ask for more than that! :D
on 6 April 2013
When Alison Golden of PaleoNonPaleo gave me the opportunity to be one of the first to read her new book, I jumped at the chance! I had been a long time follower of her blog and she has become an inspiration for me too in many ways.

"A Modern No-Nonsense Approach To Paleo" is a pure gem of a book. Whether you are just considering trying Paleo living, are already started but are in need more information or are a seasoned Paleo follower and on the lookout for new ways to overcome common challenges, this is the ideal book for you!

The important thing to bear in mind about this book is it is neither a cookbook or a scientific run down on the merits of Paleo. Both have been done before. Instead, this is a no nonsense guide to developing your skill set in order to fully take on and overcome many of the challenges faced by us in a Non Paleo world.

Lets face it, even for those of us eating Paleo for quite some time, life throws a lot of challenges our way - parties, birthdays, work lunches, holidays etc, and it is sometimes very difficult to say no and stay strong!

This is where "A Modern No-Nonsense Guide To Paleo" comes in handy!

Alison utilizes her skills in organisational behaviour as well as her own three year personal experience of following Paleo eating tos put together a complete guide for the hows of Paleo rather than the whys.

The book has six sections ranging from sections ones "Understanding Paleo" to Section sixes "Building A Strong Paleo Personal Core" and truely covers everything inbetween. From getting a support group in place early, to getting your kitchen Paleo ready and learning the best ways to do your Paleo shopping, Alison has it covered.

I personally love her section titled "Go Gradually" which basically teaches us that small changes can make a big difference in the long run. She suggests changing one thing at a time like subbing your vegetable oil for coconut oil and taking it from there. This is a great tip - many people take on too much at once and then get bored.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It truely does take a no nonsense approach to a challenging matter and puts in place real, tangible ways to overcome them.

It certainly got me thinking and I will certainly be referring to this book again and again for tips on how to improve my own Paleo living in a Non Paleo world!
on 2 May 2013
I have read a lot of Paleo literature - the books mainly focus on the history of Paleo, the health benefits and the food - lots of food ! Aside from making me insanely hungry, it's repetitive and predictable.

The best thing about this guide is it focuses on everything else - the food is only one part. It provides you with ideas on how to build your mental foundation and deal with daily challenges of being (sometimes) the only person you know that is Paleo-friendly. What if you have no support? What about the pizza restaurants your friends insist on going to? Do you go all-in or phase the transition to Paleo? This book is great to look at all the `life' aspects of Paleo, which makes it all very real !
on 4 March 2016
Really enjoyed this book. It was different to the usual paleo books, it was practical and encouraging, and all written in practical bite size chunks. The authors enthusiasm for the subject clearly comes across, it's like she is right there with you in daily food scenarios and advising you in each situation, I found it extremely easy to read and very informative, would definitely appreciate another book from Alison Golden.
on 10 April 2013
This is the perfect book for Alison to write and Alison is the perfect person to write it. You're in safe hands. Alison both knows and is passionate about her subject, and writes in a style that keeps you turning the pages. I read the book cover-to-cover in 3 days and will pick it up again more as a reference to dip in and out of when I try my own 30-Day Paleo Challenge shortly. It's like having an old friend telling you all about it, giving you options and explaining things in a calm, non-directive, yet structured way. Though I don't yet know my own position with regard to Paleo, having read this book I'm under no illusion whatsoever with regard to what's involved (in any circumstance). Without spending too much time on the basics (which you can easily find elsewhere - e.g. diets and what's allowed and what's not), Alison covers just about everything else you could possibly think of. There's some great wisdom in there about dealing with some of the stresses of modern living too which anyone can benefit from.
on 29 November 2013
This book was recommended to me on a Facebook page that I follow. It has to be one of the best things I have read this year. I found myself nodding in agreement at every page as I easily identified with everything the author was saying. Lots of practical advice and tips suggested, and encouragement to lose the guilt that comes with making bad choices from time to time. Enjoying the journey more now.
on 20 August 2013
Very sensible advice but could have been more 'meaty' i.e. I was expecting more actual practical food advice. However, I certainly felt I was in good hands with this author as it all makes sense.
on 18 May 2015
Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading it.
on 13 August 2015
Great service - product as described