on 7 October 2014
i am sorry but this book is written very poorly. interesting topic, but i am unable to engage with it because of its dryness
on 7 January 2013
I have been an avid reader of Rich's Feverbee blog for a number of years

Buzzing Communities brings together all the practical tips and advice on how to build a truly successful community.

The best bit for me is its simplicity; it's not loaded with jargon and will appeal to anyone starting out on their journey as a community manager all the way up to those that have been around for a while.

With the book broken down into neat sections, it will be a book that I will pick up again and again to prompt me in the right direction to help me make the community successful.
on 31 October 2012
I'm glad Richard finally published a book about communities. I've been following his FeverBee blog for 3 years now.

This book does a great job of explaining the different elements of community management. It breaks down community management into a framework of:

1) Strategy
2) Growth
3) Content
4) Moderation
5) Events & Activities
6) Relationships & Influence
7) User Experience (technology)
8) Business integration

To develop a successful community you need to understand what you need to do and when you need to do it. I especially loved the focus in this book upon social sciences and data. We have a lot of books about tactics and technology, but few that bring this depth to our field.

If there was one criticism of this book, it's that it doesn't focus much upon social media platforms. I'm sure many people will be keen to know how to do a better job of managing them.

Still, five stars from me.
on 4 November 2012
Rich Millington is the go-to guy if you want to take a grown up approach to growing and developing a community online. This fantastic book, easy to read and well laid out, gives you pretty much everything you need to know to make your community a success.

What I liked best about the book is the way it is platform agnostic. Good community management is a set of skills, not a question of what technology you use.

Thoroughly recommended.
on 18 November 2013
This book is written for professional community managers. I am the manager of some internet communities and but I learned some very useful things I wished I had known before. For instance, build a basic network of friends and committed relations before you launch the community. Combine online interaction with 'old-fashioned' communication by telephone and personal interviews. Do research on what members like most, and many other things.
on 20 April 2013
Online communities are integral parts of most companies' marketing strategies these days, and yet very few people know how to build them like Richard Milington does. In this book he is sharing his knowledge and practical learnings in a very straight forward way. If you are planning to build or manage online communities in any capacity, you should definitely read this.
on 17 March 2015
An absolute must read for anyone working in the new and growing field of community management.
Packed full of good advice and guidance based on real world experience. The book is a valuable, practical toolkit.
on 20 July 2015
I'm in the throes of setting up an online community. During this process, I have read widely on the subject. I found this book to be the most comprehensive. Thank you Mr Millington!
on 4 June 2013
This is essential reading for anyone involved in community building. It's wonderfully practical and easy to access even for beginners. If you're setting up a community, this is a must.
on 1 November 2014
I was hoping for more detailed information regarding how to build a community, rather than managing one.