Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 February 2015
A great read, light-hearted in places when the youngsters are training and travelling to England. Serious as they begin their missions, educational as Rex explains the jobs they do on board as well as on the ground. Very enjoyable, I was sorry when his story ended, so happy that he got home.
A relation of mine was killed in action in 1943 (see picture) so this was particularly interesting regarding how they trained, what they wore etc.
review image
on 21 May 2016
A simply written account of Mr Kimlin's experiences in WW2. A brave man and I thank him for his service. Lacks a bit of detail or should I say I would have liked a bit more. 35 missions in a Lancaster though....he can write what he likes. I read it cover to cover in an afternoon and evening.
on 13 January 2013
I loved this book. A great read. If you find it hard to put a book down, then it has to be good. I was happy to discover that Rex is still here to share his story. Men of his ilk are now in a very sharp decline which is why these books are so important. Thank you Rex for making me laugh, for teaching me and for leaving such a tremendous story behind..so that my children will know and understand your generation as I have.
on 8 October 2015
Fascinating account
on 10 September 2014
If you are looking for detailed insight or fresh information about the workings of a Lanc crew, this is not the book for you. That sort of detail can be found in other reference books. If you want a cracking good read which is both engaging and entertaining, then this is perfect. The narrative is simple, direct and feels honest. These are the memories of the author, told in a style that arrested my interest within the first few sentences. You get the feeling that you are sitting in a pub listening to him, and I'm itching to ask him a question or two to expand on something he says. The author seems a very likeable person. What he doesn't say speaks as many volumes as what he does say, and I feel this has given me an insight into the sounds, sights, smells and emotions of the period like no other reference book has ever done. Okay, so there are typos in the text and yes the prose is a bit basic - but you are left with the feeling that this is a very REAL book, written by a REAL person, and I feel so grateful that Rex Kimlin took the time to give this gem to the world.
on 15 August 2013
This tells the story of an RAF bomber crewman who survived an amazing 35 sorties during the war. It is a fascinating read of what these heroes of the skies endured, when they lived literally from one day to the next, not knowing if they would see tomorrow.
on 14 March 2014
I respect books written by those brave men who faced death fighting for us and I have bought hundreds of them, some good some bad. This was ok but was immaturely written, possibly because he was so young, there is very little detail to the missions he took part in, again he was a navigator so I suppose he saw very little. It lacks any excitement at all I'm afraid, instantly forgettable
on 6 January 2014
Tells a good story with honesty and accuracy.
All who flew in bomber command should've been given a medal. They were gutsy beyond belief.
on 21 November 2015
As the son of a Lancaster Pilot, born 4/6/46, who came through the war, this book answered a lot of the questions I failed to ask Dad before he
died in in 1979. This book gave me a real insight into what they went through and has helped a great deal providing information for the Book I'm
attempting to write.
on 19 December 2015
I couldn't put it down. I hope Rex knows how important it is that he wrote all this down - a great record of what happened. I will keep his book and make sure others read it too.