VINE VOICEon 25 August 2014
Growing up I was constantly hearing the lesson of the 60's - we're all one, love the Earth, love your brother. This is the story of a pair of men who forgot this mantra and one who stood up for it.

The Doors have been one of my favourite bands for a long time. They were great musicians, led by an iconic symbol of the dark edge of 60's Flower Power.

Here John Densmore tells the story of the death of the myth. Where friends fall out over money and try to co-opt the legacy of their leader. A man greedy for money, the one mystical about what The Doors, and Jim Morrison, stood for; the self appointed Keeper of the Flame.

Thus us well written and paced. It doesn't feel like a dry story of a legal battle but a story that tells of betrayal, lies and greed. At the centre of the story is Densmore desire to retain desire to protect the legacy and Manzarack's desire to milk it for every penny he can.

I was constantly suspicious of Ray's recollections of Jim and their work. It also seemed to show him in the best light and raise his profile above all. Now we see that he wanted to keep the cash rolling in because he put the acquisition of wealth over all else.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 July 2014
I started this book with trepidation, not really wanting to know the ins and outs of a what I imagined to be a very painful experience for the remaining Doors. I wanted to hold onto the golden days of unity. I went to see both The 21st Century Doors and Riders on the Storm, and remain very glad that I did, and didn't want to feel guilty for doing so. But this is a very important episode in the life of the band so I knew I needed to read it and I'm very glad that I did.

John Densmore has written an extraordinarily eloquent book describing the reasons behind his decision to sue Ray and Robbie for touring as The Doors and their counter suing of him for £40m for vetoing opportunities to sell Doors music to advertise products as wide ranging as tobacco, cars and computers. It is a well considered discourse on the issues of brand - what is 'The Doors' - and the commercial licensing of music for both advertising and other creative endeavours particularly in films. Not only that, it is a stark account of a deeply flawed legal system where anything can be manipulated and presented as evidence.

This is a must read for Doors fans but also for anyone interested in or concerned about the misappropriation of music to sell products.
5 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2014
This is a tough book to rate, on the one hand I ploughed threw the book over a weekend and was gripped wanting more and more trial detail but on the other hand I found some of the different directions that Densmore goes off on to break up the court room drama a bit dull.

Having seen Ray and Robby perform under different names three times I am grateful that I was able to see the songs I love performed by half of the original line up. I even made the short trip to Paris in 2011 to see the guys perform for the fortieth anniversary of Jim's death, truly a remarkable experience.

I was firmly on John Densmore's side from the moment I read about the court case and the action taken against him, the drama of the court room was captured well and John has really translated his 'voice' to the page, it is distinctly Densmore.

Unfortunately, and this is nothing to do with either the book or John's ability as an author, Ray and Robby don't come out of this book looking good. Manzarek in particular coming across quite appallingly.

John offers a helping hand to anyone not familiar with the history of The Doors and I think this is a book that anyone who is frustrated at seeing their favourite songs end up selling or plugging something.
7 people found this helpful
on 11 December 2015
This is a pretty sad book. It honestly changed my perception of Ray and Robby, Ray came across as self and childish in this book. I couldn't help but agree with John as he said it their was no Doors with out Jim and he is extremely right and it was wrong for Ray to try and use their name. This is a great book if you are interested what happened after Jim Morrison death. All in all a good read.
One person found this helpful
on 6 December 2014
Very interesting book indeed. It takes a lot of proxy to say no to $15.000.000 for Buick to use a number by The Doors. Even Morrisons heirs declined the offer and stood behind Densmore vs. Krieger and Manzarek. However, he could have taken his share, some $3-4.000.000 and given them to charity. I don' t think even the ghost of Morrison would have had anything against such a move. Densmores book is well written and a very interesting look at the courtrooms of the US.
on 17 August 2014
A book that I wish didn't have to be written. Sensitively handled by John Densmore, his integrity and pathos shine through. A thoughtful and intelligent man in extraordinary circumstances.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2015
Excellent in every way
on 6 August 2016
Sometimes the true principles are worth more than the money, and that is something to remember.
on 31 December 2015
As described
on 20 March 2016
Looking forward to finding time to read it as the Doors are simply the best