Customer reviews

on 26 December 2013
Great book as Anita has always been forgotten in Elvis life as was June but they played a huge part and great to hear more about Gladys and Grandma and also fantastic pictures.
on 23 January 2014
Loved this book from start to finish I really felt I was in the 50's/60 with them Anita tells a beautiful story about love and whT it's like to fall in love with such a free spirit as Elvis, I was routing for them to stay together but you just knew Elvis had a journey to complete. I'd recommend this book to anyone.
on 29 March 2015
This is a charming book well told by Anita Wood's daughter done in chronological chapters from when her mother first met Elvis until the split up in 1962 but I wish ideally that Anita had written it herself as it would have had a slightly more personal touch. Also, I found it slightly disconcerting when I kept reading the word 'Momma', i.e."when Momma went to Graceland on such and such a day" (or whatever) as I kept imagining it was Anita's mother with Anita telling the story because that is more the norm with memoirs, so I kept having to think again to realise that 'Momma' was in fact Anita herself! Because she'd told it to her daughter, she probably was slightly more reserved than if she told it herself although she relaxes into it more as it goes on. She was definitely quite a sheltered girl and quite innocent, the era notwithstanding, as I read June Juanico's book just before this and she is a rather more 'earthy' girl, not afraid to swear at Elvis when he's being unreasonable, there was a great personal touch with June's book. I feel that Anita and June were very similar girls in many ways, sweet, lovely, warm hearted, spirited girls that didn't take any nonsense from Elvis and gave as good as they got. Either of them would have been great for Elvis in the long term I think. It took a few pages to get into this book but then it gathered pace for me and I really enjoyed it. It was very touching at times and obviously moving and although her daughter (Jonnita) did a good job, I would have given the book 5 stars like I did for June Juanico's book, had Anita written it herself as I just think the 'personal touch' would have been felt more . A good read though.
on 30 March 2015
I wrote a review earlier and I want to upgrade it as I've read the book again since I wrote the first review.I think it doesn't matter at all now that Anita's daughter wrote this book instead of her mother, I actually think it's been written with such soul and the ending was so touching about when Anita and Elvis meet up again after they've parted from each other and married Johnny Brewer and Priscilla respectively, that I nearly cried I thought it was so moving. I'm now upgrading it to 5 stars. A great read. (Now read twice in two days!)
on 22 June 2015
A lovely love story. It is a shame Elvis did not marry Anita. She seemed to have understood him well. This book is worth a read by every fan.
on 7 January 2015
Bought for mother in law for Xmas and she loved it
on 27 June 2014