Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 January 2013
after ready the first book conquest of gaul I didn't think that civil war would match it.
after a slow plodding start ( my opinion ) it began to pick up pace and content, so the reader
was pulled along and urged to turn the page.

suitable for any reader who wishes to view an insight into marching with the legions of rome
on 20 February 2013
I loved the first novel mainly because of the accuracy of the story, so i was really looking forward to this one. Again i love the historical accuracy of the story telling, my only quibble would be that in this novel he is including Caesar too much rather than the Legionaries which really marked the first novel as a stand out in this genre.
on 19 April 2013
Thoroughly enjoyable read! The characters are so lifelike. From my own time in the army, I can say that RW has portrayed the life of a serviceman perfectly. It seems that little has changed in the intervening years for the common soldier. The campaigns are so realistic. Great story!
on 10 December 2012
Best ancient roman history novel I've read in a long, long time. The author is ex-military, and it shows in his depiction and characterisation of everyday life 'marching with Caesar'. A massive amount of research must have gone into this. Don't miss the next in the series...
on 12 December 2012
A new writer has taken on one of the most written about periods in history from a historical fiction perspective, and has written one of my favourite books ever! This along with the first are superb books. Congratulations RW Peake on two magnificent books.
on 20 January 2013
The events of this period have not been covered by many of the current set of fiction writers so it was refreshing to read about this time. As with the prevous MWC book, this is an excellently written account from the viewpoint of Titus Pullus, Loved it!
on 18 June 2014
At last more plots & twists than you care to mention with lots of action.Watch your back Titus haven't finished reading it yet but a cracking read.Much better than the first novel but we had to have an introdruction.
on 15 July 2013
An absorbing tale of Caesar's life and times told through the account of an ordinary soldier rising through the ranks. Some of the battle scenes are a bit repetitive but this is probably inevitable.
on 3 January 2013
Cover - Unique and definitely gives you a sneak peek at what is to come. I love it when authors take the time, effort and money to create something that looks and feels professional.

Formatting / Appearance - Every single thing was in order. And I mean, every comma, every semi-colon. It provided a fascinating reading experience.

Story - I had to go back to read the first book to make sure I understood all elements of the story. You would think that since he had poured so much heart and soul into the first book, the second might have lost some steam. Trust me, it doesn't. Book 2 becomes even better, even more glorified and offers readers multiple perspectives which were not explored in book one. I would have liked a deeper understanding of the Scribonius' story but perhaps we must leave room for book three? I'm already in line and I'm sure I'm not the first.

What I liked - The accuracy and details. Everything seemed so much in place, it felt like you were there. Every fight was happening right in front of you. Every conversation was being shared with you as an eavesdropper. This was truly a reading experience my book club members and I will not forget.

What I didn't like - Try as I might, I can't find a single thing that was out of place with this book.

Rating - 5 / 5 stars. I would give more if I could.

Disclosure - I received a complimentary copy from the author which did not affect my honest opinion.
on 7 June 2016
This whole series is a cracking read!