Customer reviews

Marching With Caesar: Civil War: Volume 3
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 February 2016
All i can say is. the series is well worth reading if you're a roman nut like me
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 June 2013
After thoroughly enjoying the first in the series I was thinking that the campaign in Egypt would be a bit of a drag. Not a bit of it and in fact it is my favourite book of the series. Character development is plausible, the events fascinating and as usual it is written in such a way as to believe the narrator was there. I particularly admire the way the character of Cleopatra is handled throughout the series, Peake taking the trouble to give some of the psychology behind the course she took as she walked the tightrope between subject queen and lover of two of the world's most powerful men. Strongly recommend the series
on 3 December 2012
I considered the first book in this series an absolute gem that gripped me with its extraordinary level of detail and breathtaking action sequences and this superb sequel carries straight on! That so many events can be covered in such detail whilst maintaining the high degree of pace and excitement is extremely impressive and helped i think by a narrative style that permits the un-jarring compression of time on the one hand whilst allowing more significant and memorable events to be described in exquisite and very satisfying detail - and also allows snippets of foreknowledge to be slipped in to tantalise the reader. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series and follow Titus Pullus on his next campaign!
on 22 November 2012
I'm not going to repeat all the good things said about this book by so many other reviewers. Between them, they've hit the nail on the head. So in short, this book like the last, is excellent. If you have not read the first book in this trilogy (Marching With Caesar: Conquest of Gaul) then go there! You will not be disappointed. If you have, then you're not reading this review; you've already clicked '1-Click®!

Note to:
Author - Ron, please publish the final book .... a little sooner! :)
Amazon - Can we get this guy's next book on 'Pre-order this item', so I don't have to keep checking to see if it's been published?

Update:
Now a 4 book series.
on 8 December 2012
I've read both books in the trilogy so far. The narrator Titus Pullus (via a scribe) has a convincing no nonsense voice. There are no verbal pyrotechnics here, just a soldier recounting events. It works for me, if occasionally it's a little too businesslike. The author knows his (or her) history, in particular the exploits of Caesar and the events of the civil war. The dialogue is spare but convincing, unlike a number of better known authors writing for this period, who turn out bogus 'ave, hail Caesar, we hear and obey' type stuff . I do think this trilogy deserves to be better known and I can certainly recommend these books. Looking forward to the third.
on 31 July 2013
Against the backdrop of Caesar’s ultimately doomed political changes Titus Pullus and his friends in the 10th Legion continue to give us an absorbing insight into the workings of a Roman Legion. Caesar is normally portrayed as an almost innocent victim (which clearly he wasn’t) and this brilliant book provides a different, and who knows more accurate, take on this seminal time and the fallout afterwards. Simon Scarrow et al be warned - you have serious completion.
on 2 April 2013
Mr R. W. Peake is no shop egg His Roman History series is writ well, and stitched together with great ingenuity it's based upon a time we know from the fascination it nurtures from so many others who have preserved this time to hand it down the centuries to present to us. Not really just swords and sandles goodies and baddies it's much more intellectual than that. Maybe this is as close to how it really was for a Roman Legionaire its a damn good read.
on 28 February 2013
I really liked the way this book has been written. I found it hard to put it down, as it is action packed all the way and in a style that is easy to read. It is a well researched book that transports you into the campaign's of Julius Caesar and his legions as they battle their way across Gaul and the rest of western Europe.

Cliff Johnson
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
England
on 3 June 2014
This series is as good for the purist as it is for the casual reader. It is excellent in its content and depth of knowledge of a period of history I absolutely adore. I've read an awful lot about this period yet I have not learned as much and felt so close to the people who lived it as I have through the medium of these books. Well done Mr Peake!!!
on 30 June 2013
I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this book - I'm about 80% through right now and dreading finishing it. The characters have life and depth, the story is well known but fascinating nonetheless and it's full of excitement and intrigue. At times I get swept away and feel like it's a genuine account which I think is testament to Peake's great writing.