on 19 October 2016
In 10yrs time we'll be talking about the time when dietary guidelines recommended so many carbs in the same way we talk about those posters with doctors smoking.
Sadly many people will have died, lost sight, limbs, kidneys until then.
on 13 April 2017
most of the books, approaches the low carb high fat diets very superficial and only emphasize the advantages of having such a diet.
this book, though, explain why some things happen and how they happen. It can be a bit technical at some points and can easily lose a reader that has now or low knowledge about keto in general, but that is exactly why it makes it so good.
on 12 August 2017
Brilliant summary of contents from art and science of low carb living and very helpful guide to how to apply these concepts to exercise/ athletic performance.
on 5 August 2017
This is a very credible and readable book for anyone thinking about switching to low carb and who likes to work out.
on 6 July 2017
Gers you well on your Keto-journey!
on 21 September 2017
Didn't need the anecdotal chapter and the food menu. Wouldve liked more athlete endurance science and info on correcting keto mistakes. But a great science and authors
on 20 September 2012
While there are authorative works on low carb approach in general (see Gary Taubes and Loren Cordain in particular), this book fills an important gap for athletes. It is written in an engaging style, with enough science to be convincing but without being too long. It explains why a low-carb approach makes perfect sense even for those undertaking endurance effort, particularly why carbs are not necessary during or after exercise in those adapted to this type of diet. Much advice for athletes in the past advocated switching to carbohydrates in training while reducing their intake in other times. Authors provide practical advice, including specific recipes, on how to personalise a low card diet and ensure adequate intake of micronutrients. A very good read and an invaluable short practical reference.
on 26 February 2017
I am 69 years old and looking to race an ironman. I know that I cannot train at the level I want to achieve the result I want. I cannot recover fast enough or train long enough. My first goal is to run a good for age time for a marathon to get an automatic place in the London marathon. I have been looking at the low carb diet as a possible way of achieving this. This book answered all the questions I was asking about LOCHF and now I feel ready to try it out. So with LOCHF I start my journey to ironman wish me luck.
on 20 August 2015
this is an interesting book as a personal trainer myself this book goes against everything i was taught at college but is worth reading.
on 19 March 2017
I purchased this book in order to get some scientific knowledge and understanding of the ketogenic diet for athletic performance. The authors provide a lot of detail in how the ketogenic diet works for performance and the benefits associated with this way of eating.
There are are some excellent pointers which is great for a beginner to understanding how the body uses fuel provided for energy. I feel a lot more confident having read this detailed book and it has helped me to take on this way of living.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting to improve their athletic performance by turning to the ketogenic way of eating. It also provide some recipes at the end of the book which is really helpful in providing ideas on what to eat.