on 11 July 2009
Is your husband 40+? Has your previously decent, devoted family man started acting oddly? Secretive, remote, dead shark eyes? Suddenly bought a new toy of the sporty variety? Does he look like him, walk like him, talk like him, but has turned into a complete stranger? Has he said 'I don't love you any more?'
This is the book for you. Toss away all those other 'how to nurture your marriage' and find out what REALLY is going on and how you are not alone.

Remember the jokes about men losing their hair and buying sports cars? Well midlife crisis is no joke, not to the distressed unhappy man and not to his shattered family.

This book charts the journey that men undergo as they realise they are not 30 anymore, the destructive choices (alcohol, spending, affairs, divorce) they make as they try to flee the pressure of responsibilities, self-medicate their depression, loneliness, panic and blame ('it's all your fault!'); and what blindsided bewildered wives can do as they try and hold their families together and weather the storm.
There is a website to join where people who are in the middle of the crisis discover to their relief that they are not alone.

Nobody likes facing the fact that they are getting older. Not all men going through midlife transition have a crisis. But for those that do, this book is INVALUABLE in explaining what is happening to him, and it cannot be recommended enough.
on 21 June 2011
I bought this book looking for answers. My husband is in a full-blown mid-life crisis. I know this already. I was hoping that the book would help me find a way to help him through it, but there I was disappointed. I did get comfort from the fact that others have gone through similar situations to mine and I wouldn't want to rate this book negatively, it just didn't help me as much as I had hoped. Another website, mentioned in the book, was useful and the fact that the midlife crisis could actually be a sort of depression which can be combated by medicine. I will suggest this to my husband :-)
on 2 January 2015
This book is helpful but frank. Illustrates the diversity and yet paradoxically the sameness of the MLC. I highly recommend it for bruised hearts who are ready to face the truth.
on 23 July 2014