on 21 December 2011
bought this book out of curiosity and didn't hold out much hope of it being more than a one trick pony . boy how wrong can you be . this is a lovely lovely book with lots of variations on a theme .
its not often i want to knit every single pattern in a book but this may be the one .
if like me you like to know how to do a technique before going off pattern and doing your own variation then this book is definitely a recipe book for that kind of needle work . I'm imagining all kinds of variations already and i'm only half way through my first jacket !i may never knit a conventional jacket again
on 12 January 2012
This is a lovely book. I have made fine lace baby shawls and intricate Aran jackets so thought a garter stitch circular jacket should be a doddle. Yes and no. Don't just pick up your needles and start knitting, READ the book - and read it again. The instructions and charts are detailed and very easy. If you can follow a lace pattern you can follow these patterns. The photos of the designs are beautiful, I would to like to make every one of them.
on 6 July 2017
Exactly what I wanted
on 17 April 2012
An unusual method of construction, with many variations on the theme. Construction method, sizing and tension all well explained and your own interpretation encouraged. Patterns for each variation written out and summarized on schematic charts. Yarn requirements given in lengths, weight and thickness of yarn to assist with yarn substitution for each pattern. Only relatively basic knitting skills required. Beautiful pictures. I have enjoyed reading the book and although I am only halfway through knitting my first jacket I suspect it will not be my last.
on 27 June 2012
Knit, Swirl!: Uniquely Flattering One Piece, One Seam Swirl Jackets
What a book!! I thought the price was steep for a knitting book.....how wrong wasI !!!! The sheer amount of information in this book is astounding. Having now read this book I would have been happy to pay more! This will certainly keep me busy for a very long time!! A beautifully presented extremely well written title. A definite mix between a coffee table and a knitting book. I am now off to create my own style jacket knitted using this concept.
on 11 March 2013
Well written , great pictures & diagrams & easy to follow instructions. I love this book. Futhermore it gives website links with even more detail & help if needed. I'd recommend it to any level of Knitter - Thank you Sandra McIver
on 18 July 2013
Found instructions quite challenging but patterns are fab,lots of variety eveningwear daytime ,lots of different yarn.Not for the beginner. But my friend is teaching me how to make one!
on 18 May 2013
Great challenges for knitters!! I am about to start one of the projects - think it is for the experienced rather than beginners
on 11 September 2013
Good bits - the designs look wonderful
The instructions make sense if you are actually following them
Bad bits - sizing, you have to take measurements that are a bit tricky by yourself & do loads of swatches
Substituting yarn is a nightmare
The principle of these swirls is basically the circle jumper, but they are composed in a different way, and the drape of the yarn makes the sizing TOTALLY different, which means that it is easy to make mistakes. A dk yarn knitted firmly will produce a totally different garment from a soft drapey dk knitted to the same tension, given that these take a lot of yarn & are not the sort of jumper you would normally make in a budget acrylic it is a bit daunting to try to work out what size you need to knit and what size needles you should use.
If you persevere the end results are good & are practicle, good if your weight goes up and down a bit or your shape is changing, the swirl works well for pregnancy as well and makes a good cover up for breastfeeding after, but you need patience & determination to get started on them
Couldn't decide between 3* and 4* decided on 4* in the end because if you do stick with it the end results are good
on 10 January 2013
Lovely book with good photos. Look forward to knitting some patterns when I get some free time . Good buy