Customer reviews

on 10 May 2011
I purchased this book based on reading the previous highly positive reviews. In my experience these reviews are far from accurate. This book doesn't contain a great deal of substance. Of course it's called the 'the Skinny on...' but I can assure you that you can bullet point it's contents on a single sheet of A4. The content appears to be largely based on other peoples material, collated and repackaged. It lacked giving the reader any significant advice or guidance, something I was expecting. The best way I can describe this book is to imagine someone at Uni has been asked to research a topic over a couple of days. And they come back with a outline document containing the source references. Which is great if that's what you're expecting and the cost is aligned accordingly.

What's in the book? The book is a collection of stick figure drawings (Billy & Beth the stick figure couple) talking to each other - speech bubbles kind of thing - and a few common sense sentences to compliment the cartoons. The star stick figure couple want to achieve their goals. Billy wants to lose weight, Beth wants to start a new business. The author, in stick figure form, appears once and while to point them in the right direction when they steer off course of their goals. And there's a summary of the advice he gives the stick figure couple at the end.

Why two stars? I would have given it one, however I do like the concise approach ie. "You need to do A, B, C...", without the waffle - credit where credit is due and all that. Unfortunately the ABC's in my opinion lack any substance.

I sincerely hope this review helps you.
I have read many different "Success" self help books over the past 15 years. There have been some good books, and some very poor books. Most success books are very similar in format and content. The basis of so many books is, set goals, write down the priorities, read them every day, meditate on the goals and leave the rest to your subconscious mind. Manifestation will come in time. This book on WILLPOWER is very different from the norm. It puts the emphasis on your role in your own success. What you have to do in order to narrow the odds of failure and enjoy a far better life. Willpower is the focus of this book not some cosmic ordering system that will grant all your wishes.

What it does very well is distil the vital points of information from a variety of other success books. It writes it in a very easy to read and understand format, using stick people pictures and summary pages, to get 15 simple points across. The 15 points are critical keys in the creation of REAL success by using WILLPOWER and SELF DISCIPLINE. The book addresses the question of personal success from a realist point of view, what does it actually take to develop willpower for ever more success.

The book is short and to the point. It took me two nights to read it. The end chapter gives you a summary of all 15 key points. I have found the content very thought provoking and extremely motivating. I have yet again realised that life is hard, how to get over it and keep moving. Reading so many books on "Success" that say think positive and all will be OK, this book that tells it as it is, LIFE IS DIFFICULT but GET OVER IT. I agree with Jim Randel, that we have to prepare ourselves for; setbacks, difficulties and failures. If we don't prepare ourselves, a setback could be so frightening it may stop us from achieving a worthy goal. This book has really made me think again about what we need to do, to keep moving forward to success.

I can whole heartily recommend this book as an; easy to read, highly motivating book, that will enable virtually everyone who reads it, to create more success in their life, when they apply the 15 simple steps, as laid out in this concise and clearly understood book. GREAT READ. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Well Done Jim Randel, keep more titles coming.
VINE VOICEon 30 May 2010
I am what many would consider a classical cynic. I look at every event and consider and apply the worst possible outcome. I usually avoid doing things I've always wanted to do because I think it will be hard, or there will be a negative or undesirable outcome. One thing I will say from the offset is that, I realise how much I've been holding myself back. When I finished this book, I was literally overcome with goosebumps at how simple it all seems to turn things around for the better and to put it in one simple phrase; it just involves a positive mental attitude. I feel like I've been inspired to make a change instantly, but I know that if I just jump right in there, then I've not learned much from this.

Running through 15 tips on how to improve your willpower, this book adopts a casual and comic approach as to how YOU can improve YOUR willpower and ultimately achieve the things you have always wanted. It doesn't sugar-coat events or possibilities with the idea that the minute you adopt the positive mental attitude, everything will change for the better. It promotes the idea that gradually and consistently moving towards your goals is much better than thinking what if, even if you're faced with difficulties. Although I'm naturally quite a cynical person, due to my disability, I've developed a personal saying which is "Whenever there's an obstacle, there's always a way to overcome it"; and I do truly believe that. My problem is usually not being that bothered to work hard enough to do it.

Consider the old Homer Simpson saying "if something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing". This is me all over, and although I do believe there's always a way to get around an obstacle or to defeat it, my problem is having the willpower to really work at overcoming the more difficult life obstacles. I hope that I will be able to really take a lot from this book in the coming weeks and months. Talking from personal experience, I enrolled in university last year which was a big step for me. For the first few months I was on top of the world for making this massive change in my life, but gradually I have grown more and more negative and have began to think negatively as to whether I can really handle University life and studying a degree. When I begin my second year in September, I will really put the tips this book gave me into action and pray that I notice gradual changes in my overall motivation.

Let me put it this way. If this book got through to me, then it can get through to anyone.
on 26 November 2011
I acknowledged I had a problem with my willpower. Where to start, how to approach it? How to diagnose my own problems and not to spend ages in researching and finding answers? I felt I needed to understand myself better as I am trying to develop my own business while being in full time employment. I was not sure if my inability to move forward is just the issue of my time management or my willpower, or something else. This book is well researched and offers an organized insight into the issue.

There are two main examples running through the book - weight loss and starting a business.

The great advantage of this book is that it ultimately saves you lots of time. It is not one sided, as it summarizes different approaches and views on the issue, e.g. `All or nothing approach'.

Also, other areas are explored, for example:

The importance of being specific.
Making commitment to yourself.
The power of positive thinking.

The book also offers very succinct advice on improving.

Highly recommended.

M
All the books in the "skinny" library are skinny. They are designed to help you with useful tips if you don't have much time to read, or don't want to be bothered reading big books. The content is presented in a cartoon format and you may be able to read the entire book in about an hour.

In the introduction, the author points out, "Willpower- the strength to act, or forbear from acting, in the pursuit of a goal - is a critical determinant to success ... "99% of individuals who achieve their goals do so not because they are especially talented, intelligent, good-looking or even lucky, but because they find the courage and guts to act in pursuit of their dreams and persist against setbacks."

Terry Roosevelt, quoted in the book, claims "The one quality which sets one apart from another - the key which lifts one to every aspiration while others are caught up in the mire of mediocrity - is not talent, formal education, nor intellectual brightness; it is self-discipline. With self-discipline, all things are possible. Without it, even the simples goal can seem like the impossible dream."

Some of the helpful tips you will find in this book are: the better you are prepared for what you need to do, the less will-power will you need, and the easier it will be to reach your goal. The preparation consists of knowing what you want specifically, committing yourself to achieving your goal, and holding onto positive state of mind. If the goal seems overwhelming, break it down into smaller, manageable goals. You will find it easier to accomplish goals which are meaningful to you, goals that you are passionate about achieving. It will be easier to deal with set-backs and obstacles that come your way, if you identify possible crisis points in advance and consider the options you have to successfully deal with them.
Where there's a will there's a way. Few people have success fall into their laps. Most have to work hard and smart to reach their goals. They have to be clear about what they want, make a plan, and then be persistent (very persistent) until the end is reached. Willpower is key.

The Skinny on Willpower is another great resource from the Skinny On series. Short and straightforward, these books get to the heart of the matter. Goals without a plan will fail. Dreams without action are doomed. You aren't guaranteed success but if you really want it, take active steps toward your goals and persevere through the tough times you have a real chance at achieving your dreams.
on 17 June 2011
This book sums up in a quirky, fun style, pretty much everything ever written about willpower and how to use it. BUY IT!!!!

There is a fantastic summation at the end basically bullet-pointing every important thing you need to know about willpower. I have written them all down on my fridge.

For the price of this book, you won't be sorry that you bought it! I am now looking at all the other "skinny" books to see if I can gain any more wisdom!!!
on 30 December 2014
brilliant book, although i struggled to read it on my nexus as for some reason the page was too small and wouldnt enlarge [nothing to do with the table] but fantastic book, to the point that i will probably buy the hard back to keep for inspiration