on 21 September 2014
I literally could not read this book due to the author littering the text with his unfunny jokes. If he spent the time and energy producing a more serious text aimed at professional software engineers I think the book has something to contribute. But alas I cannot turn the pages of this book due to one crap joke after another.

I will wait for the Akka in Action book due out on 3 Mar 2015 by Raymond Roestenburg (Author), Rob Bakker (Author), Rob Williams (Author). Hopefully that will be a more serious and non-trivial attempt at explaining how to use this framework.
on 5 September 2013
I don't often bother to write a review on anything, but I found this book explained quite complex ideas making them simple and did so in a way that held my attention. I actually read the book cover to cover at one sitting and have since dived back in quite often for reference. I knew some Scala and had used Erlang in the past as well as RabbitMQ so I had a good deal of background knowledge, but the author write from a deep understanding of his subject and I was grateful to have a few misconceptions cleared up. This is book is worth many times its price if you need to build a system using actors, and if you build systems at all,ayou should.
on 15 March 2014
Highly recommended to novice and intermediate users of the AKKA framework.

The chapter on Akka FSM alone makes this book worth the money.
on 6 February 2015
Being fresh to Scala/Akka ecosystem I did go through several different books before reading this one. After being through first few chapters though I've realised this should have been the first one on Akka. I did enjoy the flow of the book going from the most fundamental Akka principles to more advanced topics in quite natural way. One of the highlights is that all the concepts are explained on one consistent example - Plane/Airport model - which evolves and gains complexity as you go through the book. Together with emphasis on testability and testing patterns this book was well rounded read about the topic which extended my insight into Akka. Would highly recommend as an entry material as well as read for intermediate programmers to get more firm grasp of core Akka concepts.