Customer reviews

on 31 October 2008
Excellent companion book to Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS, 2nd Edition. Easy to follow, well illustrated and emphasis on web standards and accessibility. It hasn't left my desk!
on 28 May 2008
Having spent many years building sites using non-CSS markup, I've been aware that my skills are increasingly out of date, but have been scared off CSS by its scary reputation (plus my lazy unwillingness to unlearn one markup style and learn a new one!).
After wasting a few weeks with hopeless online tutorials, I bought The CSS Anthology and within a couple of days was building simple, effective pages without resorting to table structures.
That's how good this book is: the author asks and answers the real-world questions that any web editor/developer cares about. The result is that you're so busy solving dozens of small problems (eg:how to create a 3-column layout) that you're soon learning the principles and practicalities of CSS without even realising it. Best of all, the book contains code fragments (downloadable from a dedicated website) so you can easily create working solutions before you get the confidence to tweak them.
on 24 June 2015
Stunning book and must have.
on 13 March 2009
I've never done CSS before and now have to do it as part of my university course. It wasn't taught very well so I decided to get a book to help me along. This book is great because it gives a rough overview but doesn't dwell too much on the boring bits. It gets straight in there with lots of examples that you can try out.

Once you've mastered CSS, it will still remain a good book to refer to incase you forget how to do something as it's organised in an FAQ way. e.g. "HOw can I send different styles to a particular browser?"
on 17 December 2014
It was a gift.
on 22 May 2009
it's definitely the best CSS book I've come cross - easy to follow, well organized and has a nice touch and beautiful page layout. Done with basic CSS??! Then this is definitely the best next step. I've mastered CSS a few months ago, but still go back to look through this book every now and then...I simply love it!
on 25 June 2009
I'm self taught in CSS and this book is very useful for clarifying a lot of gaps that I missed from not learning formally. You dip into wherever you need rather than starting from page one, it is very clearly explained and straight to the point.
on 25 November 2007
I thoroughly recommend this book as a practical guide to CSS, but personally it could do with just a little more theory (despite the author's comment about it being a practical book) then it would be just perfect.

I should mention that my background is as a programmer in COBOL, C++, VB and other deskop languages, so anyone else with a similar background beware that important syntax considerations are left teasingly unsaid, with the result that I'll be copying loads of her examples but not getting really creative yet because my theoretical understanding is lacking.
on 22 January 2007
CSS is the way to make web sites look good and, as standards now separate content from presentation, it's essential to have a grasp of at least the basics of using CSS for even the simplest web page.

That said, there seem to be more CSS books on the market than one could shake a stick at, and some of them are rather expensive. How then is one to choose between them?! One way is to check out the author portrait on the back of the book. Rachel Andrew is quite a stunner, and I'd be more than happy to have her instruct me on how best to style my ids and classes, not to mention how to fiddle with ems until my absolute or relative positioning was just right :-)