on 23 March 2010
Even if you never have or never will touch a piece of polymer clay, this book is brilliant good fun. The pictures and the humourous asides are, in my quirky opinion, enough to merit the price. However, if you are working in the medium then this book is just packed,start to finish, with information. This means it is definitely not one of those "skimmers" where you feel you have absorbed all the information in a ten minute flick through the pages.

The text takes you through each technique, step-by-step and is supported by clear photographs so no having to second guess what the author is trying to convey. You could simply copy each piece, but Christi Friesen's approach to learning is obviously to equip her readers with the ability to create their own unique pieces. The book feels well made, compact in size and produced on glossy, quality paper. It is not spiral bound, but I don't personally think that is a problem...just open the page and put something heavy on it to hold it open if you want/need a constant reference.

For all of us out there with drawers, boxes, crates and rooms full of craft bits from our stamping, jewelry making, mixed media pursuits, this book offers us the opportunity to use up our bits and pieces and apply our existing skill sets to something really different. And tool boxes and hardware stores will be your new destinations in the hunt for screws, hinges, nuts and bolts!
on 23 January 2011
Steampunkery: Polymer Clay and Mixed Media ProjectsAn unusual Polymer Clay book full of grate ideas and detailed projects. This book is set out in an easy to follow format with clear project details and high quality colour pictures throughout . A progression of simple to the more challenging projects leave room for the learner to inject their own ideas and creativity. There are many helpful tips and ideas throughout and a handy Resource page at the back of the book to gives the reader a good place to start for gathering materials. The only downside I found was that my over enthusiastic repeated page flicking soon left me with quite a few loose pages.. ooops :D
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 December 2010
I wanted to try some steam punk, and set of armed with some ebay lots of parts, various fimo, and this book, and made some things very quickly that eveyone admires. The book is full of ideas, not just the worked through examples, but similar items, gallerys of other artists, and asides galore. Its not often you find a workboom that you want to take uostairs and read through as well!

I very much doubt I shall actually need another book on this subject, but am tempted to buy more buy the author as the sub texts were so engrossing.
on 11 August 2011
I absolutely love this book and have become very enthused about polymer clay in general as well as the steampunk stuff. Lots of photos and good instructions written in a humorous way that makes you smile too.
Only down side is that the book has been put together very badly and after a few turns the first batch of pages all start coming out. Amazon very kindly exchanged the first (brilliant customer service btw), but the replacement is doing the same. I am going to persevere as I do love the book but it has lost a star.
on 18 December 2011
I didn't know that something called "steampunkery" existed until I ordered this book.I was attracted to this strange style watching the film Lemony Snickett where I found a peculiar mix of characters from a fantasy victorian era full of experiments and expeditions .This book contains a lot of creations based on this look,is very funny to read and beautiful to look at even as a reading book!The author has a web site from wich one can download single projects or start out with free easy projects.You can have a look on CForiginals.com .I found the projects in this book a little too advanced for an absolute beginner but they offer a very good explanation on tecniques , materials and special tricks on polymer clay.I started trying to "copy" and ended up inventing my own characters and objects.I recommend it to everyone who likes this style and wants to experiment something new with polymer clay.
VINE VOICEon 8 May 2011
I had seen a few of Christi Friesen's little animals, and I am very interested in steampunk - so - when I saw the book I just had to have it. It is so funny and the way it is written is so decidedly quirky that I have enjoyed going through it just to read - then I went back and looked at all the projects. My only experience with polymer clay is making rather eccentric - definately not round - beads with a few blocks of Fimo - oh, yes, and a small spotted grubby black and white pig which turned out quite nicely and amused my grandson - so these projects would really be the big time for me. I shall start on something that looks really simple,perhaps the dragonfly, though I really want to do the armadillo or lizard, and see what happens. I suspect it is not nearly so easy as the instructions imply. At any rate, it is an amusing, attractive little book and I have taken to heart the comments from others about the dodgy binding and am being extra careful how I handle it.
on 30 September 2012
i love steampunk and when i saw this book i was so happy as i work with polymer clay all the time, all the projects are helpful and intresting i couldn't wait to get started i have already done two and can't wait to try the others, my friends are going to be very happy this christmas. The only bad point is that my book has fallen apart and i've only had it two days so i had to tape the pages together thats why i gave it four stars, but i don't mind as it's such a great book.
on 22 April 2011
Excellent book, can highly recommend it. Totally new to steampunk and at the moment got my first creation 'cooking'. All projects are well described step by step and lists all that you need. No problems if you don't have the same items just add your own. The only downside as mentioned by a previous reviewer is that the pages have started to come out of the book. I'm going to take them all out and punch them and put a couple of book rings through. Wouldn't let it put you off though. Ovens just dinged. First ones ready. Yippeeeee
on 20 June 2010
As usual, Christi Friesen brings us super fun projects with polymer clay. I'm always looking forward to her next book as they are all writen in an informal and funny way that hooks us up and makes us want to do each project just as perfectly as she does them!
A recommended book for both the novice and the expert in polymer clay!
on 19 July 2011
Before anything else, this book is a work of art in itself!
I know that's not what's important but, it's a complete pleasure to look through this regardless of what is actually on the pages.
When you actually got down to the projects on the pages, they do appear to be quite intimidating, they are just so fabulous and imaginative!
I suppose you just have to adapt them to your own skill level, and not aim too high right off the bat!
I am aiming to work in salt dough so will have to adapt quite a lot but, there are some great ideas in here to get you started.
I haven't started any of the projects as yet but, am sure that I will, when I finally decide which one to have a go at.
At the moment, I'm enjoying just looking at the book too much!