on 3 February 2014
I love this book, funny and easy to read. I agree there are some things you can't let go without a little revenge.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2012
Dorothy Morrison tackles the problem that most witchcraft practitioners come across eventually - namely, what happens when you've been Glinda the Good Witch, but someone has finally crossed that invisible line and hurt you and/or yours. Okay, some of the hexes etc here are probably not going to be one my own personal list, especially those which deal with common or garden lying, cheating, being plain awful... nonetheless, it's interesting reading and I applaud Ms. Morrison for having the gumption to tackle the touchy subject of not so good magic. Even the most sugar sweet of the good karma groupies can't object to a hex on a serial sex offender/killer/ whatever (there's one in the book) Frankly, I'm with her - if you aren't going to magically protect your loved ones and yourself, you might as well hang up your broom right now! Magic is after all, a balance, and sometimes it isn't all fairy dust. There are circa a hundred spells, hexes and curses in this book - that alone makes it worth the price I paid on Kindle, and I may just fork out for a paper copy for my shelves too! Well written, with a hefty does of common sense and a huge pinch of fun, in short, recommended!
on 13 February 2013
This is a funny book that has inspired me to fight back should I need to! Spent so long trying to see the good in everyone and now I see it's OK to defend me and mine. I was a good witch til I read this and now I'm an even better one!
on 29 February 2008
I read through this book rather quickly, as it is not all that difficult to read or understand. That is one of the signatures of works by Dorothy Morrison, easy to read and understand.

I also found myself nodding my head as I went through her basics for what she offers in this book. Yes, there is an ethics discussion.

And if you are under the impression that Ms. Morrison should have gone further into ethics, this book is not for you. Personally, I feel if you need a dose of ethics with a witch's book on hexes and curses, then you should do as she suggests in the opening of the book: Close this book now and put it back on the shelf.

Ms. Morrison does an excellent job covering the basics of our practices involving curses and hexes. And while she does explain that we should use this as last resort, she also points out that many times we have good reason and we should not ignore it.

So, moving on, the book is typical Morrison material. We are presented with the hows, the whys, and all the recipes to do. I love the "11" doll" material. Damn, I never thought of that! I also notice that much of the material is adapted from hoodoo basics and this is good. Hoodoo is a working tradition; working because it is effective. To adapt this material from a working practice is smarter than trying to make up your own. Why waste the efforts to create something that is already in place. I also think this is a great education in the workings of our native magical traditions.

This book contains the now famous "Swifting of Energy" working that everyone wants. It's a great spellworking! Just right for the beginner or the experienced witch.

There is a section on reversing hexes and curses as well. You never know when you may change your mind, or if someone else will whap you with some of this wonderful stuff.

If you've got the guts, if you know that it's now time for you to drop the fluffy ball and move into the real realm of witchcraft, this is an excellent primer. The recipes are wonderful and I recognized many of them. Others are great Morrison improvisations utilizing time honored traditions and sure fire workings. This is another one of Dorothy Morrison's instructional manuals that adapts tried and true magic and brings it up to date and into the real world. boudica
on 5 November 2015
A straightforward, down to earth book on how to just get on with it and do it. You can not have any second guesses in hexing and cursing. This book is not only brilliant but funny. I would recommend this to the not so faint hearted or witches that are not concerned at all about peoples opinions. If you have to question your curse or hex you really should not be casting them...
on 3 April 2010
I didn't like the book at all not because of the curses ans hexes etc. That is the point of the book. But from the language and tone Ms Morrisson uses. Talking all the time about 'all that crap' having a 'hissy fit' and the like made it awkward to read. I felt that it would have been much improved by a more cultured use of the English language, of which I am sure Ms Morrison is very capable.
Also I do not understand why this book is described as honest by so many. If it were as honest as all that, then there would be no notion of curses etc only being used only as a defense by good people who have had enough. If this were so then Swifting the Energy, which shows how curses etc can be turned for good use, would be all you need. Honestly this is a book for people who want to go the way of original witchcraft and curse when they feel like it. There is a lot of Hoodoo in there and a little Yoruba quite a bit of Wicca. I feel that a lot of the curses would probably work but I am not going to try them. Good book if you want to curse, or steal someone elses partner.
on 6 February 2016
This is most cheerful book, which is surprising given the subject, but once you accept and discount the cheerfulness (which may be difficult for some of us Brits) there is some good stuff in here. Very useful, and well-written.
on 24 July 2015
good information written in a way that is easy to follow
on 14 March 2014
The book did focus a bit on work relationships but there was a good few suggestions on other topics. Some of the ingredients suggested were hard to find, or maybe it was just me.
on 30 January 2016
Item is funny and exceeds expectations.