on 28 November 2009
This book will probably do you more harm than good. It's extremely badly written with lots of errors and the explanations are confusing or non-existent. What's most annoying is that you feel obliged to buy it if you're taking exam. My advice would be to take note of the subjects covered from Zend's web site and use other sources for your study.
on 8 October 2007
After reading another review on amazon before buying this book which said that it contained many errors I went ahead and purchased it anyway.

I was keen to prepare for the exam and thought this book was the right way to do it.

Using the book to get a general idea of what needed to be learned is quite handy, however the number of programming mistakes in this book as absolutely appaling. It would'nt be so bad if it was just spelling mastakes, I can live with that, but having functions with the parameters the wrong way round (on several occasions) among other things is not acceptable.

This book is supposed to prepare you for the Zend exam.If you use just this book alone to prepare for the exam you will fail.

If you do use it DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING with the php manual or you will surely suffer the consequenses.

The authors of this book should be ashamed with themselves as I, a non-professional at this point could probably do a better job.

You have been warned.
on 14 December 2010
Well, I have purchased this view with intension of clearing Zend exams , But I must say its total waste of money and time.
The chapters are not discussed in details and has lot of flaws.
I am pretty sure , this book doesnt even cover 20% of Zend syllabus.

I would higly discourage people to buy this book.
on 19 July 2015
A source of PHP but generally touches subjects only superficially. Thus a guide and not really an instructional book per se. Instruction of some of the examples etc. but not a beginners book, or an in depth study of any one particular branch of PHP programming. Worth to have in the library for some examples, but more as an add-on than as a grounding knowledge development book.
on 21 November 2007
This book is quite a slim, pithy volume but I think the content is pretty good and will certainly help you a lot in the exam.
Considering that most of the book is based on purely technical aspects of php code the style is actually quite readable. In fact as well as recommending the book to anyone taking the exam I would also recommend anyone who has been working in php to give it a read as even in the first chapter they are likely to find something they didn't know about the language. I still use it as a reference after it helped me pass.
I did notice one or two errors but these were fairly obvious to spot and I just wrote corrections on top which is not a bad exercise.
As an added feature which I understand is common to all php architect books the spine is printed upside down!