Customer reviews

on 5 July 2009
I really liked this book - the story was fast paced and was amusing whilst not detracting from the plot. Nick Madrid is unusual hero - a rotten lover and seemingly inept investigative journalist, but he gets the job done with the assistance of Bridget 'bitch of the broadsheets' Frost. Recommended if you like a thriller with a twist!
on 16 January 2001
I laughed from page one and read it all at one go. I'm now a fan who has read the next two and can't understand why they're not on the telly. I couldn't see how the writer could top the first couple of pages but he did - there are so many wonderfully stupid scenes (you have to read it for this to make sense but here goes - bloke with nail up his nose, snake and pet cat, toads - has this man got an animal complex?? - stand-up comedy routine etc etc) - and I still cared about who-did-it.
on 1 May 2001
What I didn't appreciate when I first raced through this to find out whodunnit was just how smart the comedy is. It's painful what happens to Nick Madrid but without the laughs ever feeling bolted on after the plot. I was especially taken aback by a glorious chase sequence that has Nick flailing through every slapstick circus gag you can imagine. Completely necessary to the plot, it was tremendous because it successfully managed to be visual humour in prose.
on 16 January 2001
I do yoga so I bought this book because the main character does yoga. I'm not really a crime reader but I LOVEd this. I thought the characters were great, the story - it's all set in the world of comedy on stage and in films - was really interesting and the humour was non-stop. What was best was that however harsh the jokes, all the characters had something going for them.
on 21 May 2001
I have little new to add to all the other positive reviews. This is a funny, interesting murder mystery. You want to find out what happened, and why. And it makes you laugh. I think I am going to try the yoga position, though, and see what happens.
on 11 January 2001
One of the funniest - I mean laugh out loud, embarrass yourself in public places funny - books I've ever read. I'd never heard of book or writer but I was interested in what Guttridge had to say about "the making of the book" on the website here and I liked the idea of its comedy business setting.
on 18 September 2012
....and I'm sorry I really did not understand what was going on most of the time. I struggled through to the end but I was not inspired to read any more in this series
on 22 April 2016
Love this series, great plot, great dialogue and great characters. Frequently laughed out loud.
on 4 August 2015
I thought that the title said it all and a laughing matter it certainly wasn't.