on 2 April 2013
This is one of the worst books ever written and might be a great book to analyse how not to write. It is essentially a long list of boring romances and how this guy is a total loser. The word Club is superfluous because he only talks about himself.
on 25 April 2012
I can only assume Amazon had a job lot lying around which they were keen to shift; for this to have appeared in my 'recommendations for you' list, and for me to have foolishly followed said recommendation, makes me feel used.

This is a terrible book.

So terrible, in fact, that I was left not only angry come the end of it, actively wishing things turn out abominably for the protagonist, but, for the first time I can remember, convinced that the protagonist was for all intents and purposes the author himself - an imaginary character could surely never be so dimly conceived - ergo, I was wishing for bad things upon an actual person. This made me feel like a bad one. That's not cool. And it's Richard Perez's fault.

If you've ever read a book before, you'll consider this a wretched one, trust me.
on 18 September 2007
In the words of Phil Gabbutt, "Probably the most obvious first twenty pages I have ever read. Let's be objective: make that definitely. Maeve Binchy holds more in common with Bukowski, and could probably drink Perez under the table at a canter. If she's still alive."
Gabbutt's got a good instinct for such things. I'd be inclined to believe him.
on 14 November 2006
Of my recent Amazon purchases -- including A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby and Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs -- this book falls at number two. I enjoyed Running With Scissors only slightly more because of the more polished writing, but I actually liked it better than the latest Nick Hornby Book, which I found lacking. (I'm a big High Fidelity fan, so it pains me to say this.)

The Losers Club is a rough (sometimes roughly written) comic love story of sorts involving Martin Sierra, a Spanish American protagonist whose only goal in life is to be a poet in the vein of Charles Bukowski. But as the novel opens we understand that things aren't exactly working out for Martin.

Stuck at a tedious dead end job (one of the many sacrifices for his "art") he is demoralized and left feeling empty. One of his few pleasures appears to be the East Village, which at the time of the book (pre-9/11) was still a happening place.

In the East Village, Martin bangs around the clubs and bars hoping to find meaning and possibly a romantic connection, when we're introduced to Nikki, who plays a central role in the book.

In many ways The Losers Club embraces, albeit humorously, the cult of failure. That's primarily what this book is about. Martin has feelings for Nikki, who, quite realistically, doesn't know what she wants. This launches Martin back into the world of the Downtown personals, through which Martin relentlessly meets and dates a host of unconventional prospects. If you're at all familiar with the scene, these artsy, experimental, somewhat damaged individuals are drawn with surprising accuracy; and the author has a gift for swift and often funny dialogue.

Decide for yourself, but I found The Losers Club enjoyable, often funny, and easy-to-read. It's not literary in the typical sense, yet there are eloquent passages and moments of true feeling. I was definitely moved on an emotional level at certain parts. You may not enjoy this novel if you typically enjoy high-toned literary bestsellers, like Atonement or anything by John Updike. But if you want a fast, fun, sometimes crude read in the vein of High Fidelity, this book is definitely for you.
on 21 September 2006
The Losers' Club is a fascinating novel to read. Though serious, it is equally hilarious and gives a perfect insight into life whose meaning has eluded so many people. It reminded me of the story of The Oaf in Janvier Tisi's novel "The Usurper". The characters are rich and lively and flow with the fast pace of the novel and the marvelous setting given to it.THE USURPER AND OTHER STORIES, DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE are other recommended books to read that I enjoyed.
on 10 March 2006
An excellent book! If you've ever found yourself lost, friendless, dateless, without a family or a future...
then you will relate to this very funny novel!
Especially if you're from Edinburgh!
on 8 March 2006
I couldn't stop laughing in reading this novel, which seems to be the book that every wanabee young author wishes he'd written, hence the nonstop jealousy and snarky critisms like "he's not the next C. Bukowski!!!!!" You can always tell how good a book is by how many idiots try to tear it down -- only then do you realize there may be something there.
Read it for yourself and see ... this is a very funny, romantic, mad coming-of-age story, one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in ages. Frankly, Richard Perez reminds me of a young Nick Hornby at his best.
This is the story of a young writer who can't seem to get his life started. It's about relationships, primarily, not Bukowski, who Martin, the character in the book, admires. In the novel, Martin is trapped in a deadend job, an empty life full of rejection and no luck when it comes to women. As he sets out to correct this he finds himself drawn into the East Village/NYC scene, which is vividly rendered in this book. Richard Perez is actually an amazing writer, and his descriptions of downtown New York are startlingly real.
In the end, this is a book worth reading more than once. My copy is dogeared. There are passages that I kept reading, over and over. This is one of those books that makes you love reading and books in general. Ignore the haters, and see for yourself!
on 6 February 2006
Definitely one of the best novels I've read in a long while. One of FUNNIEST, too. This book is about survival, first and foremost. Surviving a disappointing "career" in the arts (as an author, he's ignored); surviving a disappointing work life (the typical dead end job of a fledgling artist), surviving a non-existent love life (he can't seem to find the right girl -- or any girl). This is a very cinematic book, the order of events shuffled a bit to bring to light the story more colorfully. It's a romantic comedy, mostly. Not like the typical cynical, trendy novel (AKA: Palahniuk, Ellis) target-marketed to young people. This book is full of feeling and sincere emotion. It's also written in a lively way, easy to digest in 2 sittings. I'm glad I had the nerve to finally try it -- and see for myself. First rate entertainment, which I recommend. Spot on.
on 2 February 2006
Despite the surprising upbeat ending of this novel, I liked The Losers' Club, which reminded me of the humor found in Augustin Burroughs' memoir, Running With Scissors.
It's the story of a young American, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Nikki, who takes up the personal ads and ends up more lost than ever.
It's about coming to terms with the dreary (sometimes disappointing) aspects of life, dealing with reality, which is never as easy (or colorful) as you imagine.
The characters, atmosphere, and humor of this book shine through. If you like funny, gritty coming-of-age novels, this is an easy read, a book I recommend.
on 1 February 2006
I'm sorry, but from the use of ":-(", to the question on the back "What Is Love?"... What is love!? Well it certainly hasn't been "summed up" in this complete dirge. A miserable Bukowski-loving office-donkey is so lonley, sending seemingly thousands of manuscripts a month for nothing but rejection (maybe yr book sucks, perhaps?) that he resorts to a phone dating service with which he meets uber-cliched girls (A Guns n' Roses t-shirt. Yeah, way cool.), with whom he visits uber-cliched New York hangouts (Baby's first moshpit in CBGBs). Oh, and guess what, the girl he's friends with at the start turns out to be "the one". This book's amateurish hand, with its cliche after cliche as well as the consistant Bukowski reference (who I love, and hate to see associated with this book) made me sick. And plus the book is annoyingly huge (in dimensions, not number of pages). And it made me completely sick to find that the author had included discussion topics for, uh, us idiots who don't know how to talk about books.
Sorry, i'll incite a lot of disagreement, but this whiney, cliched book made me want to heave.