on 24 October 2005
I've recently finished a Financial Maths Course. A friend of mine had this book and as I was browsing it I realised the importance of it helping me prepare for interviews. I've got the book about a week ago and I can surely say that most of the questions I have faced so far in interviews are mentioned in this book. A must have!
Furthermore, I also bought Timothy's other book the "Option Pricing and Trading". This one is exceptionally fantastic as well. Clearly written, helps me summarise and wrap-up all the things I was learning the last year.
Without a doubt, Timothy Crack has done a fantastic job.
PS. The only negative about this book (and something that Amazon.co.uk does NOT state), is that its E-book version does not allow printing (not to mention that it is more expensive).
on 13 May 2007
An excellent book, covering a wide range of basic topics that a would-be quantitative analyst needs to be comfortable with. Something few beginners appreciate is that both during interviews and during subsequent work as a quant analyst, a really deep, intuitive grasp of the basics is infinitely more important that nodding acquaintance with a host of fancy theories.

If you want to enter the profession, the 4 books I'd buy and really understand is this and its twin volume on Black-Scholes, Joshi's finance book, and Duffy's C++ book - if you really master the contents of those four, you're well on your way to success.
on 18 February 2012
This is a must read for capital markets interview along with Crack 2009. I found it very useful not only for the quantitative questions, but also for the competency based questions, which are non technical questions.
on 20 November 2008
You need to work through that book before you go to ANY IB interview! It had questions I got asked in interviews at MS in both M&A and trading. Heard from a front office IT person that they got asked questions also.

I contains quite a lot of questions and I didn't have the time/nerve to go through all of them only to find out that I was asked a brain teaser at the end of chapter 1 in the interview - if only I had worked through everything more than once! So my advice: work through this book well before you go for interviews.

Having said that, I was also asked lots of questions which were not included in the book so you will also need to work through other relevant books in your area (eg Wilmott/Damodaran).

Re the 1-star review: it's not a general interview book and it's not advertised as such!
on 16 September 2012
This book is a good read for all aspiring Finance applicants.
This gives you a good flavour of the real thing. I love going through brain teasers and this one has some good ones.
I read this book after being in the industry for a while ;)
on 8 March 2016
This contains a good selection of brain teasers and some basic financial mathematics questions. Ideally it should have a chapter devoted to programming (as in Joshi's interview book). From my experiencing having gone through the interview process in late 2015, the majority of investment banks are aware of the existence of such books and as such they normally try to avoid taking questions directly from a book like this.
on 11 February 2011
Excellent book - very thorough, and covers almost all of the technical interview questions I've ever heard. A must for anyone applying to quantitative jobs.
on 7 January 2011
The writer expresses his views from the interviewers' perspective and also reviews most of the possible solutions to a question
on 9 December 2014
Good practice. You almost dont need anything else. I was reading way too much and I would have dine much better in the interview if I had just focussed on practice aka start doing the exercises in the book earlier
on 11 October 2012
Very good book that contains lots of questions from relatively tough to very tough. Prepares one very well for an IB/Trading/Front office interview. A must purchase.