on 15 August 2013
Much of the information in this book - which is very helpful - can be found online on the website (and various others). I actually bought it for the recipes as I was having a hard time figuring out what to eat for the early phases of the diet but unfortunately most seemed aimed at children and many frankly were not what I would call "recipes". I am unable to get quite a few of the ingredients locally either (I am in Asia). I am not knocking the book per se - it is clear Elaine put a lot of time and effort into it - it has much useful information in it and it is the forerunner and foundation of guides to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet - however it just didn't fulfil the function I purchased it for. I think there are probably better resources out there. I wish more were devoted to the early stages of the diet which is more limited.
on 27 May 2002
I have been ill with stomach problems for a good few years now and as anyone who experiences similar things will know, this really gets you down when there doesn't seem to be a solution. The diet contained in this book worked wonders for me after my body had got over the inital adjustment period of about 5 days. I felt like I had much more energy, the stomach pains had gone, my whole digestive system worked better and I generally felt a lot less sluggish aith fewer headaches. I would recommend it to anyone who is as sick of struggling on trying to sort out their health problems as I was. It does take a bit of adjustment - appetite, food preparation and purchasing, etc., but it's worth it. I started to notice a marked difference after a month, and stayed on it for 3 months. I repeated it after returning to normal foods for about 18 months and it has worked again. A nice side-effect is weight loss, although that is not my motivation.
on 2 December 2003
Just to confirm the other reviews. This book really breaks the vicious circle of feeling bad!
After 7 years of intestinal troubles, surgery, multiple diets and medication I finally found the answer thanks to this book!
Now I realise how I made myself ill and how to put myself back in control.
After a few days following the diet I noticed improvements. The hardest thing is to stick to the diet; the slightest misstep is punished. So to all Gotschalk dieters; Good Luck!
on 12 March 2012
Take a look at folk that have been advised to go on pils for life by their doctors and ask yourself if they look healthy? I decided that I would skip all doctor-recommended UC pills but the disease did not clear up and then I decided that I would trawl the internet for a cure for the disease. A heavily tattoed biker guy on youtube with no connections to any corporations recommended this book and said that he had been given the all-clear and that he was now free of UC. I bought the book from Amazon and I gradually gave up the illegal foods over a period of two months: it'll take you that long to get to grips with all of the recipes, source your ingredients and generally put the plan into action. You'll have to make SCD-legal muffins etc in advance for the week to snack on! By the time I gave up the last illegal food it was only 48 hours before i had the first non-bloody, non-mucousy "No.2" I had had in over 2.5 years. I was soooooo bloated from all the wind I had from UC (I thought that this was fat) the other pleasant side effect of the SCD diet was that I had to tighten my belt my three notches when the bloating completely disappeared almost overnight and now none of the pants that fitted me then fit me anymore: I've dropped 2" off of my waist without losing a pound within the first month. Lookin' trim as I was when I was a teenager, no wind, regular bowel movements which now only occur once a day. I feel like a million dollars. The feeling of being well is just as profound as the feeling of being well again after recovering from the flu or a bad cold: you really really appreciate it. The book mentions supporting websites and these fill in any advice gaps not covered by the book - such as what booze (if any) was legal etc.

Thankyou Elaine Gottschall where ever you are.
on 31 March 2001
This book blows a hole right through modern eating habits. You don't have to have Crohn's Disease or any other intestinal problems to benefit from the wisdom that Elaine Gottschall imparts. It is the only book I have read that explains clearly and simply exactly what happens when we eat, and try to digest, the sugars and starches that dominate our diets. Simply by cutting out specific carbohydrates anyone can achieve improved health. It's a must for every doctor and medical student not to mention every household! Definitely 5 stars, if not 10.
on 23 April 1999
Anyone diagnosed with ibd or ibs who is striving to feel better, avoid surgery, gain energy, and acquire excellent health on all fronts - should read this book. Despite what traditional GIs will say about ibd - diet DOES matter. I've been following the diet for 9 months now - I feel great and have been able to gradually taper off of steriods. Thank you Elaine Gottschall!!!
on 1 July 2013
This book is a must for healthy eating, my son was very ill, if I hadn't come across this book I don't know where he would have ended up. He had diarrahoea, infact it was like water, he lost over a stone in weight in the space of a few weeks, and nearly made me ill with the worry of it all. Until I read this book, and I should point out I go back to it for reference over and over again, that I've had to order another copy as the pages are now coming loose.

I couldn't believe the advice was quite simple and yet very effective, and Elaine Gottschall the biochemist whos advice was to say, was a life saver. In my sons case I cut out mostly refined sugar, and fed my son mainly meat, fish, eggs, and home made yoghurt (24 hour yoghurt to get rid of the sugar) and bananas which I found out by the book are really digestable when they go spotty, Simple things like this helped out. I didn't realise eating sugar and the foods which this book tells you about could be so bad for you. It shows you how to feed the good bacteria, and lessen the bad bacteria. The book is an eye opener to say the least.

I recommed this book, it's really worth reading and maybe make some notes as you go through it, or pencil in or dog ear the pages, so you can refer back to them without spending too much time looking for the advice again that you require.

If you've got celiac, colitis, IBS, Autism, these sort of illnesses then this book is for you.
on 11 May 1999
I have followed the diet for 4 months now and am feeling so much better. I've had ulcerative colitis for 20 years and this is the first time I see a light at the end of the tunnel. The food is good and it makes sense, my only complaint is that I don't like to cook and this diet requires more cooking, but that's a small price to pay!
on 28 May 2009
Since buying this book, after seeing it recommended in GAPS it has become one of my main sources of recipes, together with Gut and Psychology Syndrome & Nourishing Traditions.
We are working backwards into GAPS and I have seen changes that I didn't think were possible, and that sofar just through diet. Its amazing!
on 6 February 1999
Having suffered with either CD or UC for more or less twenty years I have been amazed that the medical establishment only looks at serious, expensive and debilitating drugs to alleviate symptoms. This book gives you a real alternative for taking control of your own health. Her credentials seem to preclude any trace of quackery which accompanies much alternative medicine. I have only just begun with the diet but am already feeling stronger and more hopeful about my health since I have become allergic to most standard drugs, a situation which may be common. This is a must read for anyone with IBD.