Customer reviews

on 12 December 2011
This is a fairly short work at about 60 pages. Definitely worth a read though. It was first published in 1886 and was written to address the state of young men in the church.

He starts by outlining the problem as he sees it, and despite the time period, there is great resonance with how the church is today. He describes the special problems that afflict young men and how it is important to sort them when young as it can become too late in middle age.

He then goes on to address the especial sins of young men and how and why to avoid them. He is very clear that young men should not be complacent about any of the issues that he addresses.

the whole book is an exhortation to men that with great clarity, passion and sound use of the bible tries to inspire and advise young Christians in how to become men of God that are not selfish and arrogant but are humble and leaders to those around them.

I was really challenged and inspired by this book, it was a wake up call in terms of the priorities in my life as a Christian and shone a light on things that I wasn't even aware were issues. I'd thoroughly recommend it to any young guy as long as you can cope with the slightly older style of writing.
on 30 July 2011
This is the very best book I know addressing the common failings of men; it reminds us that the culture we are in now does not present new challenges to the Christian's holiness, but there is no temptation but that which is common to man - in time and nation.

While this book is addressed to young men, I would equally recommend it to old women!

Excellent Scriptural and practical advice on daily holiness with a view on eternity.
on 28 September 2013
Presentationally, this is a disappointment. I was wanting to give it to my son as he went off to university, but ended up giving him my own copy of a different edition instead. This one is printed just as a fairly cheap-looking booklet.

That said, of course, the content is excellent - that's why I wanted it! This edition uses the Bible version used by JC Ryle in his day (AV/KJV) - again, other editions are available which use the NKJV, which I prefer.

So, all in all, this is OK, but you should be able to find better bindings/modernised editions elsewhere.
on 15 May 2009
This book is a must for every young man or parent of young men, giving timeless insight into problems and pitfalls of growing up.
on 17 March 2013
An absolutely excellent work for all ages and gender. This book speaks of grace, faith & salvation applied practically to our lives.It encourages the reader to always turn to the bible for guidance on all matters no matter how great or small. It gently reminds us we can do nothing in our own strength,and aknowledges our complete reliance on the Lord Jesus Christ for all.
on 13 January 2014
I found this book truly edifying and encouraging. This is certainly a book for young men (Christians or not) to read. Wonderfully challenging and I do pray by god's grace, even life-changing.
on 18 April 2016
An excellent little book,very instructive and easy to read.Should be read by all young men.
on 13 February 2015
Highly Recommend for young men for Christian living.
on 13 February 2015