on 24 May 2008
This is the book the diet industry does not want you to read. I have bought three copies already: one for my son; one for my nephew; and one for myself. Here is my experience:

I am retired and had a health check. I was fit, into rowing, mountain hikes and other heavy excercise and very fit. I was told my cholesterol was "high" and this meant 5.8. My GP offered mea statin drug which was "what the government recommends." In a couple of months my cholesterol was 3.4. I was delighted. One day I discovered my thighs ached, I couldn't walk easily and I was depressed. My eyes were "blurry". At 67 I thought that age had at last got me. Then I read an article in The Sunday Times about the worries about statin drugs. My GP warned me about the dangers of stopping my statin "more dangerous than if you had never started" was the received wisdom. I researched the internet and found this book. The same day I stopped statins. A fortnight later I was feeling back to normal and soon on a daily diet of 3 or 4 eggs (our own hens), often a pint of full cream milk a day, cheese and all the stuff you shouldn't eat according to the received wisdom.
A relative who visited us was amazed at my diet and "thought I would have known better." He was 2 years younger than myself and could scarcely climb our stairs to his bedroom. I was walking for a few miles up into the hills most days. Sometimes I walked all day.
My wife heard a consultant on the radio advising on the benefits of statins and recorded the interview. She thought I should listen to it. My conclusion was that I would rather be dead than return to statins and I have been on my present diet for the last four years.
The public take diet advice as "gospel". I have even seen a government minister sitting at a desk with five peices of fruit saying this was a healthy diet.
Read this book. The number of obese people attempting to stick to a destructive addictive diet is sad. The same goes for those with diabetes. Read this book. You will not regret it. Uffe Ravnskov is a hero.
0Comment| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 October 2016
OK, but preferred the Great Cholestorol Con, was more fun and better to understand from my point of view.
on 10 January 2018
Interesting to read and find that all my fears about Statins being useless and probably harmful to otherwise healthy people are well founded.
Both my husband and I have refused our doctors request to take to take medication to lower our cholesterol. Its a shame that so many people are afraid to say no to their doctors. This book . explains very well how cholesterol is not our enemy.
on 20 May 2017
This is easy to read in that you don't need a scientific background. A little repetitive and long winded but the information is revealing and worrying. It is well referenced. I would have been happier if the research quoted was more up to date.
on 18 January 2017
Everyone who has been frightened by the continuing publicity of decreasing their level of cholesterol should read this book.
on 28 September 2017
I liked the book although there was a bit too much scientific words sometimes. Also I didn't really liked the style of the author. He was making fun of other ponits of view a bit too much. Also at the end it was hard too read as he was showing similar studies over and over.
on 18 May 2017
A+++++++++++
on 8 July 2017
Anyone on statins this is a must read.
on 28 July 2016
Still reading it. A lot of reading and a lot of information to take on board. However, it makes sense to me and I am please d that I declined my G.P.'s offer.
on 15 October 2016
Worth reading. However one should take a balanced view of both sides of the 'argument' before deciding what to do.