Customer reviews

Blood Walk
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 1997
Having been a Lee Killough fan for 17 years, I look forward to each new offering.During those years,I've found that whether it's science fiction, fantasy, or horror, Lee always creates stories, settings and characters that are believable and easy to relate to. Garreth Mikaelian is no exception to that rule. He's everything you could want a man to be when faced with change and difficult decisions. Combining Blood Hunt and Bloodlinks in one volume, BloodWalk, makes a gripping account of the vampire Garreth's pursuit of a humanistic connection and justice.
on 20 August 1998
Before I met the author at WorldCon, I didn't know about these two books (reprinted as one volume). I picked up a copy at the booth and thought this looked good. The writing reminds me of Tanya Huff's vampire series, but pre-dates it. The stories are a compelling combination of action and introspection, of growth and change. I might have put this book down but I stayed up late to finish it, and I wasn't sorry. If Garreth Mikaelian is Lee Killough's favorite character (as she said to me) then I hope she will write more about him.
on 13 June 1999
When I saw the cover of this book in person I was a bit concerned that I'd made a mistake...and now I find that I didn't. The two novels that make up Bloodwalk come together seamlessly, and the characters bring an extra depth to what could have been a slick "vampire-cop" pastiche. Buy a copy for yourself and one for that mystery reader you know who is always on the look out for something different. No one I've suggested this book to has complained yet!
One person found this helpful
on 23 September 1998
Finally! A down to earth vampire with just as many (if not more) problems than us hapless humans. Garreth is a very believable character as he performs his detective work and sorts through the everyday problems of being a vampire in a human oriented world. Lee has carefully crafted a very enjoyable work that pays attention to the details and life's little ironies. I wish all books were this enjoyable to read; maybe I wouldn't get any sleep when that happens!
One person found this helpful
on 8 February 1998
San Francisco police inspector Garreth Mikaelian is assigned to investigate the strange death of a city visitor, Gerald Mossman, who was found in the bay with all his blood drained from his body and his neck broken. Garreth quickly follows a trail that leads him to an Embarcadero night club where Lane Barber sings. She was the person described as being in the same place where an identical murder occurred. When he confronts Lane, she bites him, vampire-style, on the neck in order to permanently silence him. In an act of desperation, he bites back, drinking some of her blood.
Instead of dying, he awakens in the morgue. Garreth desperately needs blood, but emotionally needs to cling to his humanity. As such, he sips on rat blood. However, Garreth also realizes that he cannot stay on the force. However, he decides to avenge his loss of humanity by bringing down Lane or die in the attempt.
BLOODWALK is the compilation of two wonderful novels from the eighties (BLOOD HUNT and BLOODLINKS) into one great book. The police procedural segments of the tale are well written and the supernatural elements seem so real. The secondary characters add depth and constantly move the enthralling novel forward. However, it remains Garreth's internal struggle between entrance into one world while keeping a foot in the other that turns Lee Killough's vampiric story into a great book that will please the fans of vampire and police procedural novels
Harriet Klausner