on 2 July 2016
This is an absolutely brilliant little book. Anyone who ever tries to be creative should read this. It basically goes through all the typical problems "artists" run into when trying to create art. And it explains one by one how to overcome them, and why you shouldn't be afraid to be creative (and stay creative). I have never read a better book about creativity in my whole life. Extremely helpful !! No doubt I will re-read this once a year, just because it's so motivating. For the price this book goes for, this is an absolute no-brainer...
on 7 July 2017
Was half expecting this to be a little cheesy liberal self help book but it is genuinely very good.

A lot of the content gelled with me and it has approaches to deal with different scenarios.

Read in conjunction with Twyla Tharp's Creative Habit (slightly heavier read but worth it)
on 12 September 2017
Excellent. Best book on the subject. Gets right to the heart of things. Wish I had discovered years ago
on 6 July 2016
This is the first art book I have read that can only be classed as a great comfort.
Creating any kind of art full or part time is hard on so many levels that only artists ( like the authors themselves ) know how draining and frustrating it can be.
Opening this book up to the first page I felt a sense of relief that I was not the only one out there with these secret unarticulatable thoughts.
This pocket size guide is basically a map of sorts to the very difficult life that being an artist is. With this map come very funny, intelligent, observant and warming advice and insights aimed at showing you yourself through the eyes of others.
These authors clearly care about other artists as their very clear compressed observations are straight to the point and very filling food for thought.
Because art just gets harder after leaving art college/school ( 98 percent quit eventually they say ) it is great to know why this is.
Having less or no fellow artists to relate to or confide in after leaving school is a large part of it so having a book like this is a warming comfort and a joy to read. It is like having two very helpful and caring tutors you can turn to when you want to throw in the towel...unlike many real tutors who just make you want to plain quit.
This book is a keeper and not very expensive. I recommend this to all artist / musicians / writers etc of all mediums. You won't let it go if you buy it. If you like sensible helpful advice you can relate to that is well above average quality this book is for you.
on 12 April 2010
No matter what your art discipline, this book is a must for anyone who has ever wondered why they are bothering. This is my second copy, so I have one to lend out. It's always uplifting when reading a book where the author/s have been in the same place you find yourself - again.
on 20 June 2016
I thought this book would give an insight into why you get a 'mental block' and can't get motivated. You know that feeling you get when your work seems pointless and you wonder why you bother. I had hoped that this book might point to a way out of these occasional lapses of self belief, but no, this book just waffles on about nothing in particular and everything in general. It never gets to the point. The simple truth is that these dry periods are apart of the on going process of our creativity, they tell us its time to have a rethink, try a different approach,and question ourselves about our motivations. The answer is in you not in a book.
on 24 August 1998
One of the few truly excellent books on the process of making art. My other favorite is a book called "The Blank Canvas." I plan to return to both books regularly throughout my career as an artist.
on 28 March 2017
Great
on 27 May 2010
This is a great book, and one that is easy to dip in and out of. I really enjoyed it and found it easy to relate to. It certainly helped me to realise that I was not alone in "the fear" and I actually found that it helped me to overcome a lot of the blocks that stood between me and my creativity. Not a "how-to" but certainly worth a read. It is upbeat and positive without being sugary like a lot of similar books. I think most artists will be able to identify themselves between its pages!
on 4 September 1997
Art & Fear is an easy book to rave about, but it is a particularly difficult book to write about. The authors have chosen their words so well, that it seems as if there ARE no other words with which to talk about this subject or this book. I'll try anyway, fully knowing that whatever I might say surely will not please me as much as what I have read in their pages. And this is part of the message of Art & Fear, one of the lessons to be learned - just do it and learn from it.

Art & Fear is an unpretentious little paperback, written by two lifelong friends who have been artists, as well as other things, for most of their lives. Both of them have their feet firmly rooted in the real world that we all live in (however high their ideas and ideals might fly), and both of them have keen insights into what enables individuals to produce good art and to continue to produce good art, and what stumbling blocks stop many individuals. These insights are of value to artists in any medium whatsoever, and are in fact likely to be of significant value to many individuals who don't think of themselves as artists at all. One doesn't need to be an artist to be struggling with goals that seem beyond your reach and a lack of appreciation from others; it's just a little more pervasive in the artmaking world.

Reading this book is like sitting down with the authors for a long and lively conversation. You'll learn something of them, and something of yourself, and good things are sure to come from it. I've actually found it too good to keep to myself - I'm on my 6th copy now, as I keep giving them away to friends!