Customer reviews

Treat Your Own Shoulder
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2013
I've got the other books in this series and they were much more useful. This wasn't even written by MacKenzie.

That said ... the other books are fantastic.
on 8 April 2017
I haven't used the Shoulder exercise book yet, but have been using the general back exercises from another McKenzie book. The exercises are very useful, my back has seen more improvement than when I saw an Osteopath. It's good to be able to treat yourself and free!
Book worth the fairly small price, compared to paying others to treat your back. It's important to read all of the book, before trying the exercises straight away.
on 2 June 2014
Was suggested by our gp while I waited for hospital physio appointments for long-standing shoulder injury plus recent further damage - this book is probably best used under supervision, but was I foound it helpful as long as I heeded the warning not to 'push through pain'.
on 7 October 2017
verry very good
on 18 September 2017
I dont remember
on 3 December 2012
A really useful little book, have bought others by same author & can thoroughly recommend it to anyone with shoulder problems.
on 25 July 2013
Have used other books in the Robin Mckenzie 'Treat your own..' range before and found them really helpful.Highly recommend them.
on 7 November 2016
i'm over 50 and still exercise daily doing all sorts of stuff with plenty of it to ensure that, at my age, any inadequate posture/form will make itself felt over time. robin mckenzie's excellent books 'treat your own back' & 'treat your own neck' have not only saved my bacon for many years, they form the basis of my daily flexibility/mobility regime and have improved my exercise approach to minimise injury and subsequent down-time. however, over the last few months my shoulder started playing up to the point where some on-off nagging aches and occasional acute discomfort had turned chronic and could no longer be ignored or worked around. casting around for suitable research material in order understand and self-treat my condition, i naturally went for this book first, given my prior excellent results with mckenzie's other books. however, the fact that this book is co-written with two, ahem, "physical therapists" leads me to question how much input mckenzie had in writing this book at all, given the unusually very thin level of anatomical/physiological detail and borderline useless/counterproductive exercises. the shoulder is the body's most complex joint containing an incredible array of overlapping tasks & functions, yet this book simply ignores the myriad number of possible afflictions and treats all shoulder impairments as a singular entity. if your condition is likely to be one of the more common exercise or work related afflictions such as a rotator cuff tear, acromial impingement, tendonitis or bursitis, then this book will do nothing to help you gain a better understanding of your condition and some of the exercises will be downright harmful. in my particular case, subacromial bursitis due to to an excessive amount of adducted/elevated inward rotation of my dominant right hand/arm, this book might as well have been describing basic tractor maintenance for all the relevance it had to my condition in terms of analysis, explanation and rectification.
this book would most likely be useful if you have recovered from a traumatic shoulder injury and are looking to restore some basic mobility and flexibility patterns to that area after a period of immobility, or if you are a non-exerciser or non-manual worker and looking to address some baseline stiffness issues, but if you are suffering from an acute or chronic shoulder condition then this book will do nothing to advance your understanding of your situation or address it with any relevant remedial measures.
on 8 January 2017
Working for me

So great value for money

(That said I dont know what upset my shoulder)

Being retired the reps suggested are practical (eight times a day)

Bought on the strength of knowing treat your own back was good
on 23 March 2014
Excellent for self help and to return to if the problem recurs. The author has a proven track record with this series of books.