on 29 October 2013
I began reading as I walked home from the train station and literally had to stop and lean on the nearest wall. Tears of laughter were preventing my safe journey home - awesome...doubled up...cried with laughter. Each definition offers astute social commentary and poignant humour. The book/dictionary is written in a simple dip in and out format. Very honest and very clever. A great affordable Christmas present from or to anyone with ties to Yorkhsire - no forget that... just buy it for anyone, it will improve their "liff".
on 17 May 2014
For anyone who loves words, but especially those with a connection to Yorkshire, this is a delightful collection of Yorkshire town / village names expressed as though they were dictionary words, with each being ascribed an 'appropriate' meaning. A goodun', sithee...
I read this book in one evening. It's funny and clever. If you've enjoyed Rich Hall's Sniglets or The Meaning Of Liff by John Lloyd and Douglas Adams you will also enjoy this. I like it so much I would be happy to help write the sequel.
on 15 December 2013
I'm not from Yorkshire but love John Lloyd's stuff so thought I'd give this a go. I started the book on a long train journey and couldn't stop until I'd read every page, with most of the carriage probably thinking I was some kind of crazy woman as I was nearly permanently sniggering, only stopping to laugh out loud at regular intervals. Brilliant. Funniest thing I've read in ages and anyone with an interest in observing others will simply love this.
on 28 March 2016
Load of rubbish and basically money for old rope. No merit in it at all.If you are sensible then don't waste your money on this or the follow up. Unfortunately some Yorkshire folk seem daft enough to buy it!
on 14 November 2013
I tried to pick out my favourite "Liffs"; I put bookmarks at the pages of the ones I really liked and related to. I ended up with a little book bursting with bookmarks. So you'll just have to buy a copy to find your favourite.
on 13 December 2013
I wasn't sure what to make of this book at first, but the more I read it the more I like it. I'm yet to read the original Meaning of Liff, but if it's anything like The Yorkshire Meaning of Liff I doubt I'll be disappointed.
on 24 November 2013
A great first publication - literally laugh out loud funny. Find myself catching people doing the actions which Joe describes and laughing to myself. The drawings really bring the liff's to life for me, loved the whole book.
on 24 October 2013
A great gift-book for anyone from Yorkshire. In fact, a great book for anyone who's ever been to Yorkshire and possesses a sense of humour! The Yorkshire Meaning of Liff is a welcome addition to the `liff' legacy, adding a charming regional twist to an already successful format. It's a book to dip in and out of, sifting for the little gems that work for you. There can never be enough liffs. As society evolves, so does language and so do funny things that need pointing out (aka liffs) Love it!
on 13 November 2013
Having grown up in Sheffield I found this book a great reminder of the Yorkshire sense of humour. Everyday situations and predicaments have been described with accuracy and wit and used as definitions for the more comical sounding place names of Yorkshire. This little book would make a great gift for anyone with a soft spot for Yorkshire.