on 29 January 2014
A tightly plotted, offbeat, dark, quirky thriller with psychologically well-rounded characters. I found it absolutely gripping, hugely enjoyable, genuinely exciting, and very difficult to put down; and when I did, reluctantly, have to put it down, I couldn't wait to get back to it. Yes, it did feel a touch overwritten at times, and there were times when I felt the writing could have been a little crisper and cleaner: there were some convoluted sentence constructions that I had to read back several times before I understood what was being expressed - but this never really detracted from my enjoyment of the novel, and overall I think the quality of the writing is very good. I'd much rather a book that aims high but is flawed, rather than one that aims low and gets everything right. This is a book with sparkle and fizz, with an undercurrent of macabre humour, and I never knew where the story was heading next. I particularly liked Mason's characterisation, and how every character in the book felt like a real, three-dimensional, flawed human being (or, in one case, dog), and it's the combination of the tight, exciting, frequently surprising plot, with the well-drawn and often morally ambiguous characters, that made this such a cracking and enjoyable read. I loved it, and whatever Jamie Mason writes next, I'll be sure to be buying it.
on 9 May 2017
I the first third of this was a novella, I would have given it 5 stars as the language is beautiful and original, and the characters utterly believable. Unfortunately it descends into farce as the author manoeuvres all the characters into position for the denouement and boring twist after twist is revealed
I would read another by her on the strength of that first third
on 1 August 2014
Great idea for a story. Widower Jason Getty whose life is a bit of a mess get a huge surprise. Not so much that builders have discovered a body buried in his garden, but that it is not the one that he buried there.... Whilst murder Detective Bayard attempts to work out what is odd about his investigation of the body, Leah the girl friend of the victim struggles to understand what happened to her partner, and Jason tries to prevent his crime being uncovered. Told through a number of parallel threads the story becomes clear with some great lines and some humour, and it all comes together in a satisfactory conclusion. Perhaps a bit dark in places and it jumps around a bit occasionally, but I found it a very entertaining read.
on 4 August 2015
Admittedly haven't finished it yet. Started well, but has now tailed off and I'm finding myself easily distracted by other things rather than reading which is unlike me. Mason uses a paragraph when a word would do and this should really have gone through another editor before it was released.
on 31 January 2014
This just did not live up to my expectations after reading a review in the times. The premise is really good, it starts off good, then gets a bit monotonous in the middle, then perks up at the end, but the writing just isn't there. It seems to be trying to hard with the descriptive that it doesn't work very well. I reckon it would make a better film than it is a book!
on 7 January 2017
Great story and on its way to becoming a film. Shame that Simon Pegg doesn't have the rights. Would be great material for him.
on 24 April 2014
This was a really good read...I couldn't put it down...I can't wait to see what comes next, hope it isn't too long in arriving.
on 17 October 2014
Loved this book. Enjoyable from start to finish.
on 25 July 2014
I liked the way this ended really thought it was going to end badly but the author finished it really well
on 23 June 2014
I found parts of this book laugh out loud hilarious. Anything that can go wrong, does so and it puts one in mind of the tv series, Fargo.