on 15 August 2014
Fantastic! Ordered on the 13th August and it arrived just two days later.
Most images worked. A few were hard to get to merge... I slid the Owlscope lenses to their longest reach, peered through them, and the images merged into one, but out of focus. Sliding the lenses closer to the image, as I kept on viewing, ensured a good result.
The sliding lenses are good, as we all have different vision. I'm due to have my eyes operated on, lens replacements, the next two Mondays, so I might need reading glasses to view the pics after that!

This is a big book, with a 3D lenticular photo on the cover. And the many, many stereoscopic photos inside are accompanied by a lot of information about the series. So, not just amazing 3D pics to stare at, but a good bit of history too. Well done, Prof Brian May and colleagues!
on 17 July 2015
One of the most unusual nooks you shall ever likely get your hands on but so worth every penny. Brian May has taken a passion for stereoscopes and taken this rather fantastical series and out it into one volume. There are as legend has it two to three of the images out there which cannot be accounted for, so it is not complete, but fear not, what is inside is a treat to behold. The book comes in a hard binder with its own glasses for viewing the images. Trust me when I say you've never seen the arcane quite like this before. With modern technology it is hard to believe that the images are well over 100 years old, a simple optical trick everything appears in 3D. Would interest anyone with an interest in the occult, photography, imagery or film. Fabulous.
on 22 October 2015
Stunning book of incredible 3D stereoviews, The quality of the printing and the information is quite outstanding, The 3D viewer works very well and the optics are of very high quality so enables detail viewing of the images in glorious 3D, I cant recommenced this fantastic book enough, so buy it now, you wont be disappointed, I also brought "The Poor Man's Picture Gallery" another fabulous book by the same authors.
on 7 February 2015
Ever since my childhood experiences with viewmaster reels and "weetabix" viewers 3d photography and films have seemed like magic to me. So this superbly conceived and constructed book produced by Brian May of Queen fame as a labour of love was a must. The book collects and tells the story of a set of 3d dioramas produced in France in the 19th century the Diableries moral vignettes of Devils at their work. The unique point in this set is that they can be viewed either front lit as one view or back lit as a coloured scene. Here we get both versions in a restored state. There is also a viewer to see them in stunning relief. A bonus that may not be apparent from the illustrations on Amazon is that the cover boasts a large 3d image from the set. Great value and entertaining as hell!
on 10 July 2015
This is a long term review - I've owned the book over a year now. Its an amazing work, unusual, very interesting and clearly researched in depth. The viewer works just fine for me.
I have one critisism. I think there is too much written detail of the main series of cards and a large, single photo of the particular card in question takes up an entire page with text. The opposite page has stereo photos of normal size in b&w and colour and more text anyway.
The consequence of this, by their own admission, is that they run out of space and the lesser series photos are reduced in size by 50%. Its just too small and on repeated viewing I found I want to see these at their full size.
BTW, apparently there are two missing Diableries, one of which has been found but it was too late for the book's publication.
on 11 November 2013
It's a very nice book to own and the stereoscopic images are just wonderful!
Also perfect book to put on the coffee table, so every time you have guest, they will be fascinated as well!
on 29 September 2014
Being very interested in stereoscopy I had to get this book particularly as I have A Village Lost and Found which is also co-authored by Brian May. Even if you are not interested in stereo pictures per se the story behind collecting the series of slides in Diableries and the analysis of them makes it well worth getting the book.
on 6 January 2014
what an amazing work of art this book is. brian mays owl spectacles allow you into a peculiar vision of hell
on 15 February 2014
If you were expecting music ...this is Dr May doing his other job,stereo photo's..Brilliant collection of a for gotten art,brought to life just for you,brilliant pictures,text and an easy to follow guide this bring Stereo picture to a new world!!!
on 28 January 2014
I bought this for my son's birthday which is on New Years Day. It is very unusual and very different from any 3D books. Once you get used to using a stereoscope, which doesn't take, long it is great fun. I would not buy it for children but all the adults in the family loved it. It is well presented and very unusual