on 6 April 2017
This book will upset and probably disgust many readers - though it's unlikely that any pc purchasers will get past the first couple of pages. There are better researched books on this subject, but that is not to say that anything written in this book is just opinion or imagination - other well researched material is referred to. However, what this book relates to is one man's first hand account of how his birth place has changed in less than one lifetime - and in his opinion not for the better. As someone born and brought up brought up in the Paddington area of London (or Notting Hill as it is now usually called) in the early 1950's, I witnessed much of the change happening from the start - and after a difficult beginning, I believe it would have proved beneficial in the long run had it not been taken to excess under the Blair and subsequent governments.Perhaps the main question raised by this book is why we should not be entitled to say what sort of society we wish to live in, without being accused of being racist or Islamaphobic. This book deserves to be read by all!
on 13 September 2017
David Abbott’s Dark Albion, a title which is a contradiction in colour terms (black and white) and with a subtitle, A Requiem for the English, which reveals the book’s thesis, is a highly personal diatribe against mass immigration to Britain and against Muslim immigration in particular. Abbott, who describes himself as “a gor-blimey Cockney,” is apparently a former football journalist from a working-class background. As a native Londoner, he objects vehemently to the transformation of the capital and country by postwar migration, to the demographic and cultural changes which have made much of London unrecognisable to him, now a member of a vanishing minority in some areas of the city.
His writing style is often highly emotive and has much of the amateur about it, sometimes substituting assertion for argument and, where evidence is provided, not documenting it professionally so that an interested reader could check the sources. Combined with a degree of overstatement and raw language, all of this weakens Abbott’s presentation of his position. The final section, a dystopian vision of England under Muslim rule in 2066, reads like trash fiction.
On the other hand, when he relies more on investigative journalism and the facts that confirms, Abbott convincingly presents some compelling case histories of corruption and hostility to native English institutions and culture. Chapters on characters such as Baronesses Uddin and Warsi, Keith Vaz and Ali Dizaei, and on native politicians such as Jack Straw, Ken Livingstone and Denis MacShane, do make disturbing reading, though Abbott’s presumption that such cases are widely representative requires further evidence. Criticism of immigration policy under Blair’s New Labour seems fairly mainstream.
Dark Albion is something of an amateur production which will incense some readers and delight others, but which, however erratically, confirms that the concerns of the native population of the UK about the effects of mass migration are not without foundation. More professional texts, such as Douglas Murray’s Strange Death of Europe, or Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s Infidel, significantly, written by an immigrant, confirm both substantial cause for concern and that the problems are now present throughout Western Europe. I would not recommend Dark Albion as a first-choice text on the issue of mass migration but, as a personal statement of the anger and worry now common among Western Europeans, whose wishes have been ignored, Abbott’s book is informative and interesting, and a useful supplement to more measured statements of the case against mass migration.
on 7 October 2017
Wow quite something and not for any Liberals to read or they will have a heart attack. On a person to person basis so many immigrants deserve some hope in their lives but this was Britain once upon a time 60 years ago. Would my father fight for this country and all it stands for now versus 1940. Probably not!
on 19 September 2017
David Abbott often sounds unhappy and angry about the state of modern Britain. He has a perspective to give, and does so with strong eloquence. This book deserves to be more widely read and commented upon.
on 13 March 2016
At last a true look at whats really happening to our once proud Country.
Well written and researched, yet most British people ignore whats happening around us;
If we don't Fight for our country NOW, in 5 years England will be a Islamic state under full sharia law.
God help us.
on 22 March 2016
Full of disturbing facts set in context of patriotic pessimism - an ancient nation cunningly turned into a foreign chaos without the consent, support or even full knowledge of its native-born victims.
on 15 June 2015
This a superb, vividly personal account of what it is like to find yourself in 'internal exile' in your own country, in the streets you were born in - but in a country now full of strangers. The author is an elderly white Londoner who gets the crowded bus down the Old Dover Road, and doesn't hear a single word of English. He goes to Tesco and again is the only native Englishman there. He doesn't hate anybody, he never suggests that the foreign born are innately inferior, but he aches with sadness to be now one of a dying minority. "I think of the street where I grew up, named from Old English of a thousand years ago, and am heart-tied and cannot speak." Every politician responsible for our disastrous immigration policies should read this book, but few if any of them will. You cannot dismiss the author as an elderly racist either. He is simply, quietly and passionately saying what we all know to be true. You wouldn't want to live in a town comprised entirely of fifteen year olds apart from yourself. You want to live among your own kind, so that you can talk to them, communicate with them, understand, them, joke with them, feel at home. This is a book by a Londoner who no longer feels at home in London. What a strange, sad, barely believable tale.
on 2 March 2016
A selection of essays from a retired cockney journalist which were a result of a meeting of an old mate (wotcheer) at a bus stop in Greenwich. He told him he was now writing books as a sort of hobby to keep him busy. Increasingly aware that amongst the hustle and bustle at the bus stop they were the only two white English speaking people there, his mate suggested that he might write a book about just that.
So he did. He writes about his cockney working class upbringing, his feelings on being surrounded by strange people from strange lands, and the puzzling attitude of a government who thought the English, just out of war-time rationing in 1950's, could be expected to accommodate the rest of the world.
He writes, correctly, that England was created by invaders from the continent 1500 years ago after the departure of the Romans but points out that the various Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and later Viking and Normans were racially and culturally indistinguishable, in a well researched piece of historical fact.
His most important observation concerns the progression of England to a secular state through the Age of Enlightenment and scientific discovery etc through the ages while at the same time allowing the 'religious' to maintain their belief in fairy stories, now has a goverment who tugs its forelock to a bunch of immigrants from shanty towns in south asia whose religion is based on a creed at least 600 years behind European progress and to whom democracy is 'haram'.
He devotes separate chapters to the traitors who instigated this 'new society' on post WW2 England and the liars, cheats and beneficiaries who benefit from it...
This is far from a rant and could never ever be classed as a Nationalist diatribe.
It is an educated older man's views on a two English societies: the one he is old enough to remember with fondness and the one imposed on us by 50 years of mass immigration, the one we English never asked for or were ever consulted about.
on 10 August 2014
Answered the questions that burnt away at the back of my mind and made me feel not quite so alone and a complete monster as you are made to feel! should you dare question what is going on with the open door immigration policy and how my town and country have changed beyond recognition almost before my eyes.
Multicultarilism has done "nothing" for me and neither has or will islam except for more misery and oppression (possibly war in the U.K) for which my children will have to deal with.
If you dont like the truth or a glimpse in to the future and how we are being sold down the river by a bunch of neo liberal fascists then dont read this book it will scare the pants off you!.
If like me you knew deep down you where being screwed then this book will only confirm your suspicions that the future is an islamic one!.
on 14 July 2017
Having digested the sad story of the catastrophic changes in Europe within Douglas Murray's 'Strange Death of Europe' I was drawn to this book (having read the 'sample first). Like so many older people I sense the magic of being 'English' vanishing in a puff of smoke as the country changes irrevocably for the worse. Taking on a new complextion, a new creed, a new consciousness. READ THIS AND WEEP. I am serious. Perhaps younger people don't know what they've lost yet but they will I fear. I only reached page 14 before I found a paragraph to put here - I've typed some relevant bits (can't write it all): 'If the settler comes from a lawless part of the world, he fetches his lack of respect for law; if being devious is a way of life where he comes from, he brings his deviousness; if getting all upset at the least little thing is in his culture, he imports histrionic behaviour ..... the rudeness endemic in backward countries has been imported wholesale. ... Our rulers, fearing our objections might get out of hand, have passed restrictive legislation, banning any criticism of the newcomers,. Journalists acquiesce in deception, obscuring both the extent and the consequences of mass immigration' .... our culture eroded, modes of behaviour that have existed for many centuries in England have change. People need a culture. Without one, they degenerate'. He continues later ... 'the civic virtues, good manners, ingrained personal habits of self-control and moderation, and the national mistrust of excess, have all been jettisoned or destroyed. In the last few decades there has been a catastrophic collapse of English manners and habits. England now is a moral swap in which the hug and confess culture is extirpating hardiness and self reliance from the national character in favour of a banal self pitying witless and shallow emotional oncontinence... some say it is a brave thing to be a settler, to cast off from your old reference points and certitudes and set out in a quest of a better life, but many of the likes of me are in a similar position. Cut off by cultural changes from the world we thought we would inherit, we live in interior exile. In one respect we are in a worse position than settlers - we did not choose this disruption.
Look guys I'm only page 16.
None of this book is about or for people who have a streak of racism in them. It's about a topic and a 'loss' that is far greater than that.
Call me old fashioned but for me England (and I will no include the rest of the UK) is about honour, integrity, waiting in queues without moaning (too much!) understanding the depth and relevance of our long-time history including nursery rhymes, folk songs, pressed leaves and flowers in a scrap book, reading Jane Austen and the Brontes, feeling the winter rain and walking the hills and dales of the countryside, embracing the joy of Vaughan Williams' music and listening to folk songs. Allowing our basic qualities and inherent spiritual beliefs - think cathedrals and churches, stained glass and Sunday School in the 60s! Janet and John reading books. Caring for our countryside and our children and our pets. Medieval tales of Chaucer, Latin lessons. Making do and mending. Just being 'English' - teacakes and jam, fetes, maypoles, climbing mountains and getting blisters. Not trying to push our ideas down anyone else's throats. Just being us, just being English. I am ramblng .... forgive me ....
And back to page 14 he says 'A culture is neither education nor law-making; it is a heritage and an atmosphere. What makes a culture specific is the way in which over many centuries the elements have combined, developed and affected one another and eventually formed a system. The strengths of a people lie in continuity. To break with it is perilous'.
I am probably not picking the best bits or my best personal words to 'review' the book but I feel deep with a great sadness that I will eventually leave this world, this country, this ENGLAND, a very different - and dare I say unrecognisable - one.
No one fights against reasonable change and development but this last 50 years has throw us in the deep end of a swimming pool without even asking us if we can swim and now we are sinking.

.................

I reached page 150 and had to add some more:

'Multi-culturalism is now open to multi-criticism from some of Europe's most influential political leaders ... but as far as the English are concerned at least, any debate can only ever remain empty talk. (I put this next bit in capitals for emphasis) IT IS TOO LATE. OUR CULTURE IS IN RUINS, A FLAT WASTELAND OF RUBBLE. AROUND US IS A COLOSSAL WRECK. WE SENSE THIS, AND WE FEEL DESPERATE ........ the devastation has left each one of us horrible alone. A PEOPLE CAN RECOVER FROM AN ECONOMIC CRISIS OR A WAR BUT NOT THE REPLACEMENT OF ITS POPULATION. WITHOUT THE ENLISH, ENGLAND NO LONGER EXISTS. The ethnics are amongst us in their millions, solidly entrenched, breeding and spreading, never leaving, changing the complexion of the country for ever'.

This book ends with an essay entitled 'William the Conquered' 2066' - a terrifying picture of the enlightened British being overwhelmed ....

The book ends 'In the ruins, those of the English folk not demoralised by dhimmitude reach out to each other, support each other and organise the resistance. Because of the incredible chronological discrepancy of ideals, the conflict gives the impression of a war between people living in different centuries'.

I grew up in a solid old fashioned English household where values were simple, strong and secure. My place in the world was too. The diversity of other nationalities was understood. They were different but they had the right to live and they chose in their own countries. But they don't have the right, surely, to live as they chose in their adopted country. Apparently they do and it would appear that the Englishman and woman no longer has a castle, no longer has a cohesion and no longer has a future.

RIP England - been nice knowing you ... and I mean that most sincerely as the great Hughie Greene used to say on 'Opportunity Knocks'. The opportunity for ourselves, our children and our grandchildren to enjoy being English, securing English ways and ensuring continuity of our great traditions and solid history, seeing this great country continue to thrive, flourish and grow in a climate of moderation, enlightenment and understanding is no longer an option. Opportunity no more. Opportunity no more.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse