on 5 December 2014
Absolutely fantastic, I couldn't put it down! We like the book so much that we're going to give a copy away to everybody that takes our tour with Secret Cottage. Our six hour day tour of the Cotswolds visits hidden villages that are inaccessible to public transport. During the day we take you back to our private thatched home called Secret Cottage to serve coffee and pastries, lunch and a traditional afternoon cream tea.So, if you're visiting the Cotswolds, be sure to book well in advance. The pick up point is Moreton-in-Marsh railway station - every day throughout the year. Great day trip from LONDON-Paddington
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 18 March 2012
I so much enjoyed reading this refreshingly funny book - it is rare these days to find oneself laughing until tears are rolling down ones cheeks. Yet this book is so much more. I delighted in accompanying the author and her husband as they investigated different villages in pursuit of the perfect cottage, experienced ridiculous miscommunications with eccentric locals, or roamed beside the tranquil upper reaches of the river Thames. The epicurean delights sampled in various pubs and restaurants made my mouth water. There are mad dashes across the Atlantic to Hollywood in order to finance their dream, resulting in some absolutely hilarious situations. As a travel guide this book is well organized and researched and contains some enchanting photographs as well as giving many interesting facts about historic buildings and other points of interest, but never to the point of tedium. There is an excellent index and comprehensive resource guide at the end.
However, it is Diz White's humour and wit which shine through and make it such an engaging read; a Cotswold version of "A Year in Provence". On reaching the end I felt that I was saying goodbye to a dear friend. Now I can't wait to jump on a plane and see this beautiful area - needless to say, this very useful book will go with me.
on 19 April 2012
This is the first time I have put up a review but I had to share my feelings about this book. It is so much fun. I found people were staring at me whenever I read it in public because I was frequently laughing out loud. In addition to this, although I know the Cotswolds quite well, there was so much information in this book that was new to me - with lots of out-of-the-way places - this author really knows her subject. This book will be very useful for my next trip to the Cotswolds for all the good ideas about what to see and there is an excellent travel guide included. Also, I got very caught up in this author's roller-coaster journey which reads more like a humourous action-filled adventure than a travel book. Finally, a writer has come up with a book that appreciates the English countryside, the good food being produced there, the village communities and the wonderful ancient architecture, all with an exciting story that frames this good stuff. I hope there is a sequel in the works.
on 5 October 2015
Standard tourist information with over elaborate (exaggerated?) details of pub and home cooked meals.If this is the authors main interest why not write a cookery book.I found comic details of local 'characters' rather patronising particularly the first scene with the owners of the rented cottage.
on 19 January 2015
Im sorry to say i didnt finish this book,,, it started off ok and there were a few slightly amusing parts in it,, but laugh out loud ? No Way . I lost interest about half way through and it was a chore to carry on reading .
on 23 September 2012
I recently moved down to The Cotswolds so when I came across this book I thought it would be the ideal starting point to learning more about the area I'm living in and I wasn't wrong. The book has given me plenty of ideas of places to visit including, amongst others, manor houses, gardens, castles and pubs/restaurants. But 'Cotswolds Memoir' is much more than just a travel guide. It's a witty, often hilarious, tale of two people's determination to buy their dream cottage in the Cotswolds. The (quite often eccentric) characters they meet along the way and the funny anecdotes add to the charm of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Cotswolds Memoir' and would highly recommend it. Cotswolds Memoir: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage
on 13 September 2016
The most beautifully descriptive journey around The Cotswolds & so many giggles along the way!!! Can't recommend this book enough. Diz White is hillarious, her sense of humour grabs you & has you smiling the whole way through... What an amazing view of The Cotswolds, Diz really has brought to life the images in your mind as you read her book.. A definite must read, fantastic for a present too ❤️
on 22 January 2015
Good intro to the Cotswolds for a first timer. A little whimsical for the more knowledgeable.
Viscount Murphy
on 17 February 2015
For those who do not live in England and appreciate England's countryside, this is THE book!
on 1 April 2012
COTSWOLDS MEMOIR hooked me from the very first page. It's well researched with good information and also very funny. In fact, it's absolutely filled with entertaining anecdotes. Also, this books catered to all my interests - I am a foodie (this author's descriptions made me drool), a history buff, a house hunter, and love to read about quirky characters. There's real tension, too, as the story develops, Who would think that buying a cottage could be such a fun, roller-coaster adventure? I was really sorry when I reached the end. The minute I finished the book, I wanted to pack my bags and get on a plane for the Cotswolds!